Backup valid, but still unrestorable?

I fixed the problem by deleting the mysterious longer second copy of the blocklist. That turned out to be the more reasonable-looking shorter blocklist repeated twice. How that could happen would need a trip through C# code and SQL. Because I don’t develop in either, it would be nice if debug were more open.

I show it in 7-Zip because that’s where I did it, because File Explorer is confused by the duplicated files. When it tries to show me the information on the longer file, it shows the size of shorter, so I don’t trust it.

As to why one participant in the PM found that a Direct restore worked OK, only version 3, 4, and 5 reference the affected blocklist in that dlist file. Presumably the GUI restore just picked latest version, 0.

FWIW my “fixedup” folder for this experiment is the decrypted dlist and dindex files, plus empty files for former dblock files. On those, I leave the .aes extension because they’re referenced in dindex that way although it can actually deal with the names as .zip. You just have to endure some messages like this:

Unable to find volume duplicati-b83bdf633ed5a424e929c69e5257d94f3.dblock.zip.aes, but mapping to matching file duplicati-b83bdf633ed5a424e929c69e5257d94f3.dblock.zip

EDIT:

The troublesome blocklist showed up on the Mar 19 backup and continued through Mar 20 and Mar 21, however the first time it actually appears twice in the provided current snapshot is (according to dindex) duplicati-b83bdf633ed5a424e929c69e5257d94f3.dblock.zip.aes. Please check yours to see what’s in it. That file was uploaded from a Mar 22 compact, but earlier databases, dindex, and logs aren’t available. Depending on how the compact code works, maybe old issues can propagate. Needs a developer look.