Backup to another Windows PC in same lan (like CrashPlan)?

Hi,

I used CrashPlan to backup data from one Windows computer to another of my Windows PC.

It worked even if computers weren’t in same LAN (from internet).

I’d like to retreive a backup software which could do the same thing, or at least : backup to another PC in my LAN.

I know i can use a SMB network share as destination with a lot of backup software, Duplicati included, but are there others solutions ? With or without Duplicati ?

I heard about “webdav”; i don’t know if it could have any advantage over SMB ?

Thanks

You could go with various server solutions like webdav, smb, ftp, or ssh ftp.

Duplicati doesn’t itself provide any solution since it only acts as a client currently. You’ll have to depend on a 3rd party tool for this.

Sadly it’s a bit more complicated than Crashplans old solution, which I also really liked, but on the bright side it gives control and lots of options :slight_smile:

To clarify, the answer to this particular part is Yes, you should be able to have Duplicati push backups to a remote folder on your LAN assuming permissions are set correctly (write access, etc). I’m assuming it would work similarly to having duplicati back up to a local folder.

I have done backups from one LAN machine to another using a mapped drive letter and a UNC path for the destination (as well as SFTP), so I know it can be done.

However, when trying to use a mapped drive letter you need to be careful about under what account Duplicati is running. For example, if you log in as yourself and map the Z: drive but are running Duplicati as a service or another user that does NOT have a the Z: drive mapped (or worse, has it mapped differently than you) then you’ll run into “issues”.

For me the UNC path side of things worked a lot more easily, however the GUI doesn’t support browsing to a UNC destination so what I tend to do is get to where I want to go using Windows Explorer then copy the UNC path from the bar there and in paste it into Duplicati after clicking on the “Manually type path” link.

Thanks for all your reply.

So it can’t be as simple as with CrashPlan. I will try with the UNC patch, thanks for the tip.

I’m also testing others solutions; actually : UrBackup (server/client), GoodSync (direct p2p with account), Syncthings, etc. Some are more focused on synchronisation but even if there isn’t history file versionning it could be used as a complement with Duplicati (or another backup software).

Bye

Absolutely! I haven’t finished setting up “the other side” yet but my plan is eventually to use Duplicati to back up my machines to my on-site server then use Syncthing to off-site that a machine in another city.

I also looked at UrBackup (well, installed it and that’s about it) when I was searching for a CrashPlan replacement but ended up going with Duplicati. I’d be interested in hearing how your experience with it goes as we don’t yet have a #comparison page for UrBackup vs Duplcati. :slight_smile: