Backup not starting, unable to find problem

Hi all!

I’m having trouble getting Duplicati up and running after reinstalling my server, backup server and duplicati itself.

The backup target is a raspberry pi with hard drive attached to it, i want to backup via SSH (did it before, worked perfectly, but can’t remember what Duplicati version i used).

Currently there is a working and active connection from server to backup server, the tests during configuration show no problems. The user I use to login on the backup server has write access to the hard drive for backup.

I’ve made sure that the time is correct on all devices and everything is up to date (version 2.0.4.5).

The log on the backup task itself is Empty on the first tab, the second (remote) tab it shows that it did copy a few dblacks, 6 of them. But then stops with no error.

The log in the about section is pasted below. Can anyone see what to problem is?

System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.AggregateException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Volumes.BlockVolumeWriter.AddBlock(String hash, Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 size, CompressionHint hint)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.SpillCollectorProcess.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<<Run>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at CoCoL.AutomationExtensions.<RunTask>d__10`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.<RunMainOperation>d__12.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.<RunAsync>d__19.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at CoCoL.ChannelExtensions.WaitForTaskOrThrow(Task task)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<Backup>b__0(BackupResults result)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String[]& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String[] inputsources, IFilter filter)
   at Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.AggregateException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Volumes.BlockVolumeWriter.AddBlock(String hash, Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 size, CompressionHint hint)
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.SpillCollectorProcess.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<<Run>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.<RunMainOperation>d__12.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.<RunAsync>d__19.MoveNext()<---

---> (Inner Exception #1) System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> Renci.SshNet.Common.SftpPermissionDeniedException: Permission denied
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Common.BackendHandler.<DoWithRetry>d__21`1.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Common.BackendHandler.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<<UploadFileAsync>b__1>d.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Common.BackendHandler.<UploadFileAsync>d__13.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.BackendUploader.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<<Run>b__0>d.MoveNext()
---> (Inner Exception #0) Renci.SshNet.Common.SftpPermissionDeniedException: Permission denied
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Common.BackendHandler.<DoWithRetry>d__21`1.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Common.BackendHandler.<>c__DisplayClass13_0.<<UploadFileAsync>b__1>d.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Common.BackendHandler.<UploadFileAsync>d__13.MoveNext()
   at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.BackendUploader.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<<Run>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at CoCoL.AutomationExtensions.<RunTask>d__10`1.MoveNext()<---
<---
<---

I’ve found the source of the problem! It looks like it has problems with backing op from my second partition, the data disk. When i select files to backup which are stored on my C drive it works perfectly.

Hello @miesjel and welcome to the forum!

The Renci.SshNet.Common.SftpPermissionDeniedException: Permission denied in the log looked suspicious if it seemed to happen about the same time the problem was. Other good ways to monitor logs include About --> Show log --> Live (Retry level is pretty low-output, Profiling is enormous) or using options –log-file and –log-file-log-level for a somewhat better log that doesn’t need you to use a browser each time.

Permission denied can probably come not only from the operation requested, but from a login problem, e.g. perhaps you exceeded the concurrent user limit somehow. If you have the standard sftp-server you can try setting up some logging to see what it’s complaining about. I’ve no idea why it’s sensitive to chosen source drive, unless the timing of SSH operations is radically different and causing some sort of operation timeout.

Hi, thanks for welcoming and thanks for the good advice!

You have pointed me in the right direction. I thought i tackled all problems with access but after testing with copying files via WinSCP i got an error I could beter understand. There was in issue with write access in the folder in the backup destination.

Backup has started and is finally creating new files on the remote destination. Thanks!