Backup Destination OneDrive Photos Directory

Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up Duplicati for the first time. I want to use the software to backup the family photos to Microsoft OneDrive. So far, I have been able to this using the guides on this forum. Thanks for that!

However, I can’t work out how to get the backup job to save the backup directly to the Photos folder on OneDrive. This job only includes the family photos, so in the interest of keeping things “tidy” I want the destination to be the default Photo directory on OneDrive.

Can anyone advise how I do that, or is it even possible?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you want the pictures in native format in OneDrive’s Photos folder. Duplicati will not do this.

When it backs up files, it uses deduplication to break files into chunks, then packages chunks into volumes, compresses, and encrypts them before uploading to your back end storage. Because of this the back end files are definitely not in native format. The benefit of using deduplication is that Duplicati can store many backup versions very efficiently.

On top of that, I believe when an application (like Duplicati) uses OneDrive, the files are not visible in the standard OneDrive interface. (I could be wrong though - I might be thinking of Dropbox.)

In any case, if it is true that you want your photos synchronized as-is to the OneDrive Photos folder, Duplicati is not the tool for you. A file synchronization program may work better.