Backend quota is close to being exceeded

Hi :slight_smile:

First, thanks a lot for this great software !

I use it every night to backup my important files from my Windows PC to my NAS which has a 2 TB HDD.

Lasts backups display this messsage :

[Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.FilelistProcessor-BackendQuotaNear]: Backend quota is close to being exceeded: Using 1.42 TB of 1.79 TB (142.05 GB available)

It is normal, my disk become full.

My questions :

What are my solutions ?
Edit backup configuration and uncheck some data i’m sure i don’t need anymore ? If i do that, will old backups of this files be deleted automaticly ?
Change the retention setting ? It is actually set to “Keep all”.
Is there another ponctual action i can do; like “delete older versions” ?
Change my disk for a bigger ? In last resort…

Can i analyse backups to see which data take a big size ? I think there is maybe program data which change too often; i would like to check if there is a lot of versions for some files…

Thanks

Yes, this is one option. You’d have to use the --purge command to remove the data from the back end.

This will also reduce the storage on the back end. The setting to use depends on your needs.

I personally like having a multi-tiered retention. I set mine to “custom” and use “7D:0s,3M:1D,1Y:1W,99Y:1M”. This tells Duplicati to keep all backups from the past 7 days; beyond that keep 1 daily backup for 3 months; beyond that keep 1 weekly backup for 1 year; and finally beyond that keep a 1 monthly backup for 99 years.

(Also note that you may run into a bug enabling retention if you have a very large number of backup “versions” … the latest canary version has a fix for it.)

The amount of data freed up on the back end by adjusting retention depends on several factors.

That’s basically the same as changing the retention setting. If you mean temporarily, you could change the retention, run one backup (so that Duplicati has a chance to apply the retention settings once and delete older versions), and then change retention back to “keep all versions” if you want. Of course if you set it back to keep all you may run into this problem again in the future.

Yep that’s always an option too…

Thanks a lot for your replies and explanations, i will choose one or several solutions and will keep you informed.

Do you have a reply for that :

Can i analyse backups to see which data take a big size ? I think there is maybe program data which change too often; i would like to check if there is a lot of versions for some files…
or maybe i can consult a log ?

I also recommend setting up custom backup retention.
Out of curiosity though, what values do you see in the Duplicati interface for “Source: / Backup:”? It would be informative to the value of setting up custom retention if, for example, the “Backup” number is much higher than “Source”, because that would mean you have a lot of overhead in past versions.

Because of the deduplication, this is a challenge.

Great request…please let us know what those numbers are.

1 Like

Find large files in backup? and Visualize backup data usage have some ideas for identifying things to trim, however, as has been mentioned, the deduplication (also compression and versions) make it challenging. Please also note the space might not be immediately reclaimed, but eventually a compact will free space.

Ok. I will consider that if needed.

Source : 1013.31 GB
Sauvegarde : 1.42 TB / 478 Versions

Ok.

Is there log i can consult to see each time which files or backuped ? Because i have a lot of “static data”, it could help me to identify which files or often backup…

If i uncheck files or folders in source selection, should i run then purge and/or compact ?

Keep in mind that even changed files may only generate small amounts of change data that’s backed up:

Features

Incremental backups
Duplicati performs a full backup initially. Afterwards, Duplicati updates the initial backup by adding the changed data only. That means, if only tiny parts of a huge file have changed, only those tiny parts are added to the backup. This saves time and space and the backup size usually grows slowly.

Feature request: List all backup sets with their size shows how to find added, modified, and deleted files.

If you’re willing to dig details out of a general-pupose log, you can set –log-file, –log-file-log-level=verbose (and if you’d rather pre-filter you might be able to use –log-file-log-filter to catch only message like below):

2019-09-10 17:45:15 -04 - [Verbose-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FilePreFilterProcess.FileEntry-CheckFileForChanges]: Checking file for changes C:\PortableApps\Notepad++Portable\App\Notepad++\backup\webpages.txt@2019-09-06_154119, new: False, timestamp changed: True, size changed: True, metadatachanged: True, 9/8/2019 12:12:06 PM vs 9/6/2019 7:58:56 PM

where any of the tests turning up True means there is the potential for some data about it being uploaded.

Unchecking affects only new backups. You can either wait for older ones to age off, or purge data yourself. Space from deletions is recycled by compact, which by default is automatic, but can be forced if you wish. Depends on how much of a hurry you’re in. Living with an almost-out-of-space condition can get awkward.

Ok.

Ok, i tried adding this advanced option (log-file-log-level=verbose) to my backup config; i will check the log after next backup. If i understand, the log is set to “warning” even if the advanced option isn’t added ?

Ok.

Only if i set a retention setting other than “Keep all”, am i right ?

I’m a little confuse with the difference between Compact and Purge but if i undesrtand; if i uncheck files or folders in source selection that i’m sure i don’t want anymore : i have to run “purge” ?

Yes i agree, but before to change my destination disk with a bigger, i want to be sure it is worth. In fact, when i created my first backup config, i had a lot of space in destination disk, so after selecting my “important” files, i added “less important static files” and then “program files” like database…
Now my disk is soon full, i would like to delete bigger “less important” files and check what space use “program files” (not big files but maybe they change very often and take to muche place with all versions).

Not sure of the question. Without any advanced options there is no log file. You have to give it the path.
What you say is correct if you mean the --log-file-log-level default so this means you need the verbose.

Right. Depends on what you want. If it helps, you might have it thin out versions to avoid filling up again, however any file that exists only between versions that something like custom retention policy kept are unavailable for restore because no remaining version got it. There are lots of retention options possible.

You have to if you want an immediate deletion. You don’t if you want slow deletion as new backups omit it and old backups age away. When the last version having the file is deleted by retention policy, file is gone.

You can easily have File Explorer look for changes if you like. If the only thing there is programs that could easily be reinstalled somehow, there’s not much point backing it up at all. You want to backup YOUR data. You’re correct that in some cases versions build up. If I put datemodified:this month in the search box then look at results, I see the VirtualBox update I just installed. If I switch view to Details and select all files then right-click and get Properties, I see it’s got about a GB of data. Longer period would certainly be more.

[quote=“ts678, post:10, topic:8002”]
Not sure of the question. Without any advanced options there is no log file[/quote]

Ok, it was my question. I thought the log was the “history” listing but so, it is different.

I didn’t. Ok i think i understand : i have to add the 2 advanced options :
log-file with a path in value and log-file-log-level=verbose. Ok :slight_smile:

Ok, but with my retention setting “Keep all”, nothing will be deleted if i just uncheck files or folders in source selection, am i right ? And so, i have to “purge”.

I agree, it isn’t program files not useful, it is program “data” files i don’t want to lose, but i think some “program data folders” contains temp files; i have to check that but it isn’t easy :wink:

So the better solution should be to check changes on the source side; if i understand it’s more easy than on backup side; ok, i will try.

Thanks for all your reply, i keep you informed :slight_smile:

Correct.

Correct, unless you want to go the hard route to identify and hand-delete all versions that saw those files.

I made a lot of analyse stuff.

I used a windows storage analyse application (Wiztree, a “windirstat” like) for each item selected in “Source” tab of my backup config.

I used the “file” tab with “folder” option ticked and sorted by modification date. With that i can analyse if files or folders or modified and how often.

So, this is my results and items which can potentially increase my backup size, with the one i suspect the most in first :
Evernote :
C:\Users\mbmc\Evernote\Databases\nonobio.exb (7.2 GB, i use a lot this app and this file is modified several times per day !)
Kodi :
C:\Users\mbmc\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Thumbnails\ (a lot of subfolders with more than 100 MB each; seems to change every time i start Kodi)
C:\Users\mbmc\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\script.module.simplecache\simplecache.db
C:\Users\mbmc\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database\Addons27.db (4 MB each time i start Kodi)
C:\Users\mbmc\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database\Epg12.db (12MB each time i start Kodi)
C:\Users\mbmc\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database\Textures13.db (8 MB each time i start Kodi)
MediaMonkey :
C:\Users\mbmc\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB (47 Mo) : an app in permanent use. The file isn’t very big but seems to change each time i listen to a song.

After reflexion, i think it could be a good solution to separate these backups which i don’t need a “keep all” retention, from my personal data i would like to keep “keep all” retention.

If im’ right : i can’t set different retention settings for different items in the same backup job ?

If yes, the solution is to create another backup job and so have 2 jobs, for instance :
First for my personal important data with “Keep all retention”
Second for my programdata files and databases with “Keep… for instance… 6 months”
Is it a good way ?

If yes (again), can i shedule these 2 jobs at the same time ? In others terms : will Duplicati be smart and manage 2 backups at the same time without risk of conflict or too high ressources taken ?

For now, i added some “Filters” : “Exclude folder” to my actual backup job. Does it produce the same result than unticking items in source list ? I mean : will these excluded items be deleted after a purge command ?

By the way, i tried to start a “purge” command line from web gui. I think make a mistake because it finished instantly with this message : "You cannot combine filters and paths on the commandline
Return code: 200"

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again :wink:

If two jobs are scheduled to start at the same time (or if any job is scheduled to start when another job is running already), the backup operations are queued to run sequentially. So you don’t have to worry about conflicts or hammering system performance.

Also: things like your Kodi data files - I’d suggest you carefully analyze exactly what you’d need (if anything) to rebuild your system after a crash. I run a Plex server on my PC and store only the bare minimum to back up the “watched / not watched” statistics for any show/movie; anything else, I could just as easily reconfigure after a reinstall.

In my opinion the first thing you should change on your main backup set is to enable custom retention instead of “keep all” - your source / backup numbers indicate that you have as much as 400 GB wasted in old versions, and after you set a custom retention, it will immediately go through your old versions and delete unneeded versions, freeing up storage space (without needing to do advanced “purge” or “compact” operations manually).

Ok, it’s perfect.

Yes, Kodi could also be reconfigured quite easily if needed, but even if it is easy, it can take a long time to reconfigure all applications, it’s why i backup my program data of main applications. That said, as shown in above post, some files changed often and doesn’t seem to be needed in cas of reinstallation (thumbs will be recreated automaticly if i’m right). It isn’t always easy to know what backup; even on Kodi Wiki it is recommanded to backup all the userdata…

For my personal important data (photos and videos), i’m always affraid to lose data (video,photo album, etc.) and seeing it to late : for instance several month or years after the losing date. “Oh no, it’s out of my retention scope” :sob: . It’s why i choose “Keep forever” when it is possible…, for this kind of data.

But for my others data less important; programdata files essentially, i don’t need to keep all versions. Often i will see that my program lost settings quickly, and if eventually i lose something, it won’t be too grave.
It’s why i think this data doesn’t need a “keep all” retention setting, but maybe a “keep 6 month” one.

So i think it can be the good “first” thing to do with my issue : separate my unique job in two jobs, isn’t ?

Because :

That’s correct. You’d need different jobs, and I can’t comment much on what you want to put in each, but everybody is suggesting custom retention, and I’m not seeing any sign that you’re considering it. You can keep a version for unlimited time without keeping ALL versions. It’s a progressive thinning, announced as:

New retention policy deletes old backups in a smart way and because manual hasn’t caught up, done as:

See earlier post for a specific string and how to interpret it, Also see my caveat on things falling into a gap.

I think it’s the same as unticking, meaning it’s removed from source data on new backups but not purged from old backups. To do that you need to purge manually. You may face some challenges on splitting the existing backup. While you can purge files, I don’t think there’s a way to move the entire history of the files into a separate backup, and deduplication isn’t done across different backup jobs, so space use goes up.

Ok thanks.

I consider it, it’s was just out of my reflexion scope :wink: . It’s not easy to understand but i start to.

Thanks for your explanation and the link, i read the first post and some following. I also read again earlier post and your caveat. All of this helps me to understand.

So i have to choose :
Keep only one job with custom retention
or
Keep this job with “Keep all” only for important data and create a second job with custom retention for less important data.

Even if retention settings are more clear for me now, i have to say that the “keep all” setting is more rassuring for me :wink:

Do you recommend to me to keep only one job with custom retention, or create a second job ?

Before making choice, i would like to start a purge to see if i win some space after unselecting source data and excluding some things, but as i said :

Do you have an idea of what is causing this message ?

Ok thanks.

I understood that; i will lose my old versions of less important data if i go this way.

I’d agree with that, plus the manual doesn’t cover it at all, and the help text isn’t quite enough to convey it.

I can’t recommend how you should treat your varying-levels-of-importance-and-update-frequencies data, however I did express space concern earlier on adding the second job while old backups exist in the first.

You can also consider your own restore history – do you ever actually restore? If so, do you need to have precise version choice? Going back for what period? How often do you back up? That limits precision too.

Reassurance is good, but unless you want to increase your storage capability you may need to trim files.

The PURGE command

This command can either take a list of filenames or use the filters to choose which files to purge.

You said earlier that you had filters in use, probably of the --exclude variety. If you’re in GUI Commandline, options (including such filters) are automatically put on the screen. If you then modified the screen to do a purge command, you might have typed paths into Commandline arguments instead of the --include filter, while leaving the --exclude filter, causing the “You .cannot combine filters and paths on the commandline”.

It’s hard to say, because you didn’t say what you did, but if you left an inappropriate–exclude, just delete it. Changes on the Commandline screen don’t cause changes in the saved settings. Tailoring is expected…

I understand.

Yes i try to think about all of this. In my own history, i ever had a lot of entire photos albums losts and i saw this lost only several month later. I have several backup methods and while one (or two) didn’t work (i don’t remember why), the third restored my files. I also had several times need to restore program settings lost, and i often find a good version from daily versions, not very old (one or two weeks).

If i really need space for important data, i will buy a new HDD (4 TB) and transfer my backup, but before i want to be sure that my backup settings are appropried to my needs. It is what i try to check :wink:

Yes i tried to use the Command line in GUI and i just changed “Command” from “backup” to “purge” and didn’t touched anything else; this is my screen before choosing the command" purge" :

So it isn’t as simple as choose “Purge” in “Command” and “Run” ?
Shoudl i just delete each exclude filter i have on this screen ?

I have a doubt on my understanding : if i create a new job for my less important files (programdata files), i understand i can’t transfer backup history of these files from my first job, ok. But if i’m ok to lose this history and than i untick all of this files from first backup configuration then i run “purge” (when i will success to purge :wink: ); they will be deleted of the first backup destination, won’t ?

Don’t purge with that config unless you mean to purge all of the listed source folders from the backup.

Purges (removes) files from remote backup data. This command can either take a list of filenames or use the filters to choose which files to purge. The purge process creates new filesets on the remote destination with the purged files removed

That might be the only thing that saved you from a self-inflicted purge disaster. Please study the manual which also says to use –dry-run to see what an operation will do before it’s run? Very important on purge.

Manual gives --include filters as an option for selection. Deleting the list of files and using --exclude filter would seem risky because it deletes everything except what the filter excludes (I think). And just feeding your current -exclude list will make sense only if you want to remove files that you’re currently excluding.

The manual suggests that versions can be given, which would be the –version command I guess, but it reads kind of like the default is all versions. I hope you haven’t deleted your backup already. Be careful.