Backblaze B2 ConnectFailure

I am suddenly getting on all of my computers a ConnectFailure (connection timed out error). None of my settings here was changed or updated. Anyone else having this problem?

Works here on backup and Destination “Test connection” button (does your button show the problem?).

For upload, there’s a multiple-step process where you get sent to a specific destination that has space, meaning Backblaze might be sending me one good place, and you one bad place. You can infer where Backblaze is sending you from name lookups in your DNS (which could also be a point-of-failure), e.g.:

C:\>ipconfig /displaydns | findstr backblaze
    api.backblazeb2.com
    Record Name . . . . . : api.backblazeb2.com
    pod-000-1130-05.backblaze.com
    Record Name . . . . . : pod-000-1130-05.backblaze.com
    pod-000-1130-08.backblaze.com
    Record Name . . . . . : pod-000-1130-08.backblaze.com
    api001.backblazeb2.com
    Record Name . . . . . : api001.backblazeb2.com

C:\>

To actually see what addresses you’re getting, you’d probably redirect the ipconfig output to a .txt file.
Any pod should respond to a ping. It’s not meant for browsing, but if you try it seems you get redirected.

JottaCloud - This might be related or not.
Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)

First I decided that I’ll try tomorrow again, if it’s just a temporary problem. But this might be connected, so I posted before waiting. Yet, I’ll retry tomorrow to see if JottaCloud is working again. If it’s something temporary on their side.

Backups to sftp and ftps destinations worked perfectly.

Edit: Version reference
2.0.4.34_canary_2019-11-05

Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.) #2672 was my speculation to several sudden Jottacloud failures. No response there yet, and Jottacloud just tolerates (I hope) the use of reverse-engineered third-party access such as this, so they might not announce any change that well.

Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.) can be another one to watch.

1 Like

After one day the connection to Backblaze B2 started working again for all of my computers. Nothing on my side was changed. Backblaze could not provide any explanation. Weird.