Back up Google Drive Folder

Hello,

I am considering using Duplicati to improve my resilence against ransomware.

I currently use Google Drive to save all my working documents and sync between my PC, laptop and mobile. It works really well and I am happy with, I use google docs and plugins a lot it’s great.

I am concerned that should some ransomware encrypt my laptop or PC, it will sync everywhere and I’ll be stuck.

Has anyone any experience using Duplicati to back up a google drive folder? My inital concerns are how Duplicati will handle any files that Google Drive has locked should a duplicati backup occur at the same time Google Drive is sync’ng.

Any thoughts or experience any one has on this would be great. I have searched but I only find results about using Google Drive as a destination of backup.

Thanks
Dan

Hello @djhayman, welcome to the forum!

Most of the posts I’ve seen about including cloud share folders in a Duplicati backup seem to lean towards the “having problems” side.

That being said, systems vary a lot so it might be worth you trying it out and seeing how it works for you.

Oh, and out of curiosity are you taking about a Google Stream drive?

Hi @JonMikelV,
thanks for your response. I currently use google back up and sync so I gues the personal version of Stream drive.

I’ve had a look on the forums at other users who have asked about backing up a locked file and see that I can enable VSS.

I’ll give it a test and see if I run into any problems.

Cheers
Dan

1 Like

Doesn’t Google Drive keep versions of your files? If it does, is that not good enough to recover form a ransomware hit?

Mine says it keeps 30 days or 100 versions (whichever comes first) but actually keeps more than 30 days. An impediment is web UI. It looks like (without help from a script) it’s manual per-file work, and the file may not even have its original name. Perhaps you could find something more recent than these, but see below:

Cryptolocker / Ransomware script to automate restoring of older versions.

Restore entire Drive to previous date after a ransomware infection