Attention SSD users: if your temp directory isn't ram-backed, Duplicati will prematurely wear your SSD

No, that’s entirely unrelated although the name and documentation are both vague enough to be tempting.
Useing a RamDisk for the asynchronous-upload-folder is how I think it works (and what the name refers to).
use-block-cache does not work as expected; high SSD wear #3566 speaks of rename, docs, and a feature (however features have a long backlog – good part is that gives some time to start discussing beforehand).

One tradeoff which I think is especially visible on a database Recreate is that an SSD can help add speed. Unfortunately it also takes its toll on the SSD. I don’t think we would want the database kept in a ramdisk…

is a Windows internal file. Your image refers to “Paging I/O”. So does this article. Search can find other info.

Several (but not most) third-party backend access methods have file-based APIs, so can’t stream transfers. Possibly this would be kind of a sometimes-can-have-it-sometimes-can’t thing by the time the dust settles…

This is probably partly for performance goals about keeping a steady upload, and the queue size is settable. There’s also the previously mentioned inability to stream files to some destinations, and worry about messes. Somewhere there’s a comment from the lead author to that effect, I think. At least initially, simplicity is good…

Of course it should but it doesn’t yet. Keeping messes somewhat confined to temporary files is a good thing.

Some people have wanted huge volumes for large backups. Choosing sizes in Duplicati discusses tradeoffs. Having a roomy drive is more forgiving of configurations, and Duplicati temp dup-xxxx files not being deleted, however whether or not one thinks SSD endurance is an issue now, the shift from TLC to QLC will get worse.

It’s hard to tell them apart (certainly not using the random file names). On my system I generally get a mix of 50MB dblock volumes and smaller files that are dindex files (done after the dblock, I think) and a dlist at end. Look at Job --Show log → Remote for lines doing put to get file names. Click on these lines to get file sizes.

1 Like