Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\true' is denied

Hello @TheImmortal and welcome to the forum!

That date sounds like 2.0.4.17 canary, which implies you installed an earlier canary originally. If you were on, for example 2.0.4.16 canary, the update fixes some problems but needs Service or Windows restart.

Activate downloaded upgrade sometimes fail

If you want maximum stability (or at least fewer unexpected breakages, avoid bleeding-edge canary and use 2.0.4.5 beta which is itself not perfect – sometimes backups need to be started again from scratch. Basically, I would recommend it more for short-term recovery, and definitely not long-term archival uses.

This sounded very odd, but there’s one report from 2017 seemingly involving job export/import confusion.

Failed to process element: true #2615

One might be your service, the other might be started at user login. Standard installs don’t do the service.

Migrating from User to Service install on Windows gives some considerations if, for example, one likes the Tray Icon as an indicator for the Service. Regardless, one should remove the start-at-login link, or wind up with two Duplicati instances on different ports. Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe explains how the port can move.

An existing autostart link can be deleted by going to its folder. Sample directions are in How to Access the Windows 10 Startup Folder. If you like to keep the shortcut in a modified way, e.g. with --no-hosted-server, renaming it will avoid it getting clobbered if you uninstall Duplicati someday, e.g. to do a new install by .msi. When doing such an install, you can keep it from creating a new shortcut by disabling Launch Duplicati at startup early on, then unchecking Launch Duplicati now at the end. Crude, but Service install is crude now.

Installing Duplicati on Windows

I’m glad you got this going so quickly. I thought I’d address some of the oddities you saw (and are seeing).