Access to path "xxx" is nedied

Hello, I’d greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out with my problem.

I’m running several Ubuntu Servers for backup using Urbackup. I’m trying to setup Duplicati to be able to backup the Urbackup destination folder to an external hard drive, but I keep getting the ““Access to path “xxx” is denied””. Urbackup creates a user account with the credentials urbackup:urbackup and I think that’s probably part of the issue, but I don’t see anywhere where I can put in these credentials for the source of the backup. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

I don’t believe Duplicati currently supports authentication for SOURCE - generally one would run the Duplicati tray icon or service under an account that already has access to the source.

You didn’t mention if you are running with the command-line, tray icon, or service but I would think you could use su to switch to the root or urbackup user which should then have access to your Source path.

Disclaimer - I only dable with Linux, which means I learn just enough to do what I want, not do to it the right way, so take my suggestions with a huge grain of salt. :slight_smile:

Thanks JonMikeIV, I’m predominately Linux focused myself. I was just running through the GUI. I was just focusing on running it once a week, like on a Sunday. Just for offsite purposes. But it does have an icon in the taskbar, and no I don’t have it running as a service. Would you recommend running it through the command line? If so do you have any examples, as I don’t know my way around this software. Thanks for replying.

The commandline comes with built-in help:

duplicati-cli help

If you are using the zip distribution, you can use

mono Duplicati.CommandLine.exe help

You can also read it here:

I wouldn’t NOT recommend it - it’s really up to what works best for you.

When I do command line stuff I usually find myself using the GUI to build a backup job doing what I want to do, then using the “Export” feature of that job to spit out it out “As command-line” which I then copy/paste into my scheduler (or a batch file that is called by my scheduler).