2.0.2.15 won't start

I upgraded one of my machines from 2.0.2.1 to 2.0.2.15. (Windows 10 x64)
After upgrading the TrayIcon process won’t start.

The following events are visible in the Event Viewer.

How can I troubleshoot this further?

Application: Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod(System.Reflection.MethodInfo, System.String[])
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<RunFromMostRecentSpawn>b__0()
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.WrapWithUpdater(Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.AutoUpdateStrategy, System.Action)
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecentSpawn(System.Reflection.MethodInfo, System.String[], Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.AutoUpdateStrategy)
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.Main(System.String[])

Faulting application name: Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe, version: 2.0.2.15, time stamp: 0x5a4ccfbe
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.15063.726, time stamp: 0x1a9bbe0b
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000069d98
Faulting process id: 0x2f60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3898a855cef0f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: dc2d7e2e-5bcf-4e74-b9b1-d2d3e1b63eb5
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Found a bit more detail in Duplicati-crashlog.txt:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CoCoL, Version=1.5.0.24305, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0983de3c914beeaa' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HostedInstanceKeeper..ctor(String[] args)
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.RealMain(String[] _args)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod(MethodInfo method, String[] args)

Ok the CoCoL.dll file was not present in the Duplicati 2 program folder. I got a clue from this thread:

I uninstalled 2.0.2.15 and then reinstalled it clean. Now the CoCoL.dll file is there and it starts properly.
The in-place upgrade over 2.0.2.1 to 2.0.2.15 failed to install the dll.

You guys might need to look into the installer logic a bit more.

Thanks!

Thanks for bringing this up - and glad you figured it out!

It is a known issue and there was a change made to how updates are handled somewhere in the 2.0.2.1x range (I think). That change should make issues like yours happen much less frequently - but only once you’re on the new code for both the “from” and “to” versions of the upgrade.

Please let us know if you run into it again now that your on the new update code.

Oh, and sorry for the delay in replying - sometimes life intrudes on my internet time. :anguished:

Thanks for the reply! I think it would be beneficial to try and change the installer logic to make sure that DLL gets installed properly, even if someone is upgrading from 2.0.2.1. Seems like this may be a common scenario since many won’t be using canary/experimental builds.