Why is Fetching Path Info for Restore so slow?

How do the CPUs compare between the two machines? Also, what version of Duplicati are you using on both?

Linux Duplicati Config:

• Duplicati Canary (2.0.5.103_canary_2020-02-18)
  • 15-20% CPU while browsing restore
    • Takes about 40 seconds to get the root restore directory tree loaded and ready
    • Takes about 20 seconds to expand a directory in the tree and get it loaded and ready
  • 25-30% CPU while backing up

What I realized while testing is that this backup has a much more complex directory structure. It contains hundreds of directories as itā€™s a backup of my developer workstation. I read in this thread that expanding a node in the tree needs to parse the whole directory list each time making it slower on such complex directory configuration. So thatā€™d explain my issue IMO

Windows Duplicati Config:

• Duplicati Beta (2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18)
  • 2-5% CPU while browsing restore
  • Takes about 2 seconds to get the root restore directory tree loaded and ready
  • Takes about 2 seconds to expand a directory in the tree and get it loaded and ready
  • 10-15% CPU while backing up

Yep, I would say thatā€™s correct.

In addition to CPU usage, I was curious about CPU model. This is largely a CPU-intensive task, and I believe single-threaded like most (all?) sqlite queries. So single-threaded CPU performance will also affect this.

Just FYI:

Windows box CPU (the one that has the fastest Restore browse) is a Intel Core i5 4670 Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache.

Linux laptop (workstation) has a 8th Generation IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-8550U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz).

Anyway in my book, performance is very acceptable. I used to be a Crashplan client before they messed my whole account up and their app was MUCH slower for browsing. So yay for Duplicati and open source software :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m also a Crashplan refugee! Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! What backend do you use? Backblaze, Wasabi, S3?
Iā€™m currently trying Wasabi.

I use B2. I also tried Wasabi and had no complaints. B2 offers the ability to ship a bucket snapshot on USB drive, which I thought might be a nice option for faster disaster recovery.