Web UI not accessible through port 8200

Storage Box at docs.hetzner.com shows lots of protocols. Beyond avoiding SAMBA/CIFS (a.k.a. SMB) because it works badly enough on a LAN that I’d worry even more on a WAN (wide are network) and not using unencrypted FTP over the Internet (security/privacy), you have your choice of FTPS FTP over SSL but actually it’s TLS these days, as SSL is too insecure, SFTP (which Duplicati calls SFTP/SSH because it’s based on SSH) and WebDAV which is based on HTTP. Make sure that’s encrypted (Internet hazards).

You will have to either do some research using your favorite search engine (maybe with site: selection), or use the forum search box at upper right, or try it yourself to see what gives you best speed & reliability.

Thank you for the ongoing support

So it works now but… I connect to the Web UI and then I go to create “add new backup”. The next step are the “General backup settings”- Name, Encryption and Passphrase. Then I click next. Here is the part I am not sure about. I select here to “Webdav” and enter the Webdav link from my Nextcloud and add my username and password from my Nextcloud to connect to my Nextcloud. Then I get the following error code: “Failed to connect: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized”. Is this because I use two factor authentication? If so, is there a way around. Are the steps I have taken so far correct. I hope I do not bother anyone with my questions - I just need some help to finally backup my nextcloud via hetzner.

They look suspicious. Notice which screen you are on. Based on “click next” you seem to be on the Backup Destination screen trying to WebDAV to NextCloud. I’d think you want Hetzner, correct?

You will have to ask the NextCloud people how to backup NextCloud. There’s a help forum like ours.
Duplicati screen 3 Source Data is what you have to work with. I hope you can get to what you need.
If I recall correctly, there’s a database, in addition to files kept in various places. Restore may require special procedures done in the right order. You have a complex application, and need special advice.

Duplicati backs up the files you tell it to back up, and restores per your directions. The rest is your job. Backing up and restoring using a file-oriented backup should be a familiar question to NextCloud help. Presumably there is a way. Actually, my first try at Google found the manual on it. Try reading up near

Backup (and Restoring backup is right below). For NextCloud questions beyond those, try their forum.
For Hetzner questions, maybe they can help. For questions on Duplicati itself, those are handled here.

Returning to your two factor authentication question, I don’t think Duplicati WebDAV can do that, and if you’ve got that at Hetzner, WebDAV might not work, and I have concerns about other protocol options.

“They look suspicious. Notice which screen you are on. Based on “click next” you seem to be on the Backup Destination screen trying to WebDAV to NextCloud. I’d think you want Hetzner, correct?”

Well I would not need to connect first to Nextcloud or give Duplicati access right? Then move it to Hetzner storage?

Duplicati is not intended to backup cloud, it’s meant to backup local resources to cloud.

So there is no point really? Thanks for the support

From what I understand:

• you have on your local LAN a computer running Nextcloud - an Ubuntu server
  • you have installed Duplicati on this computer
  • you want to access Duplicati from your personal computer - something you have achieved I think
    Now, can Duplicati installed on the Ubuntu server access the files on the same Ubuntu server ? It would seem likely, but only you know exactly what you are doing. Inspite of 26 posts already, it’s still not clear for me. If the Nextcloud files are accessible from Duplicati, all that you have to do is to write pre-backup and post-backup scripts to stop and restart your Nextcloud server, and to add the necessary files to the Duplicati job.

I think NextCloud is local, but they mistakenly set it up for the Destination, not the Source.

Good question. Is this directly accessible or is there a VM or container to get through to grab files?

1. “Duplicati installed on the Ubuntu server access the files on the same Ubuntu server” Yes it is installed on the same Ubuntu server as my Nextcloud.

2. So what I want to do is backup my Nextcloud, that is running on ubuntu (on a refurb Lenovo Workstation). I want to get away from Google cloud, as I do not trust those MFs. I have a Hetzner Storage box. I want to backup my data from my Nextcloud, to the Storage box. So if something goes wrong, I have my data safe.

• you have on your local LAN a computer running Nextcloud - an Ubuntu server - Yes
  • you have installed Duplicati on this computer - Yes

??? It backs up directly to the Destination, and has access because you supplied access credentials.

EDIT:

If you’re thinking of trying to get NextCloud files over WebDAV, that’s incorrect. Read their directions,
linked above, where they talk about files (they actually suggest sync) and whatever your database is.

EDIT 2:

To repeat, Duplicati backs up files that it can access via local file access. You can skip to the Source screen to see if you can find what the NextCloud manual is talking about. Possibly they advise rsync because the backup can then continue at its leisure, while NextCloud is brought back into operation?

Another option, if you don’t mind more downtime, is to back up directly instead of from a copy of files however the NextCloud experts are not on the Duplicati forum, so you can go to theirs to confirm it…

For the record, I have configs backing up to a Hetzner StorageBox using Sftp as it’s simpler to setup than Webdav. So if you want a quick result, it’s the preferred option IMO. Webdav is probably a better performer if you have lots of data.

"It backs up directly to the Destination, and has access because you supplied access credentials. "

So I just have to provide access to Hetzner? I miss the point where I select the files from Nextcloud, which will be backedup to Hetzner - sorry if I am a little slow.

No, but that’s the Destination for the backup, so is part of setup. The other part is the backup Source.

That’s the Source screen where you pick whatever files you need. Is NextCloud isolated in Docker or something, or is it installed directly on Ubuntu per my quick look at their manual Installation on Linux?

Basically if you can see the files using whatever file browser you use, Duplicati can probably get them. Have you read their Backup manual yet? They say what to backup. We’re not NextCloud’s help forum.

EDIT:

sounds like you should be able to go right into needed files from elsewhere on Ubuntu. Does that work?

FYI

SFTP issue with high bandwidth high latency connections might get improved someday at SSH.NET.
Improve SFTP performance on medium/high latency connections #866 is currently open pull request.

I should be able to via command line!

??? should be able to what? Get to NextCloud files? If you want to test it that way, that would be fine.

EDIT:

and I can’t tell you if you can do that, because I don’t know for sure how you set things up. Please try.

Alright - thank you for the support. I will try it and get back to you.