Update failed (2.0.4.28) - with error "Newtonsoft.json"

Following error after tried to update form 2.0.4.22 to 2.0.4.28. Does anyone have an idea to solve the problem? Here the error message:

Die Datei oder Assembly “Newtonsoft.Json, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6ae d” oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Die gefundene Manifestdefinition der Assembly stimmt nicht mit dem Assemblyverweis überein. (Ausnahme v n HRESULT: 0x80131040) —> System.IO.FileloadException: Die Datei oder Assembly “Newtonsoft.Json, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6 2a6aeed” oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Die gefundene Manifestdefinition der Assembly stimmt nicht mit dem Assemblyverweis überein. (Ausn hme von HRESULT: 0x80131040)
Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung
bei Duplicati.Server.Database.ServerSettings.get_UpdatedVersion() bei Duplicati.Server.UpdatePollThread.Run()
bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Runinternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
tarting process C:\portable_apps\PortableApps\Duplicati_BACKUP\Duplicati.Server.exe with cmd args --ping-pong-keepalive=true

I’m not sure, but try uninstalling the current version first. And maybe try installing the latest 2.0.4.29 canary after uninstalling.

Welcome to the forum @Eitschpione_1986

Other people are more expert at assembly version issues, but I’ll ask how you tried to update, e.g. was it from the GUI automatic updater dialog, install from .msi or some similar installer (if not Windows, what?), or something else? There was a serious of build and install issues from 2.0.4.24, but I’d thought 2.0.4.28 fixed most of them unless there was a case missed – there are lots of different ways to do an upgrade…

Had the same issue updating to 2.0.4.29 from GUI updater dialog on Windows Server 2016. Reverted to previous installed version (2.0.4.22) for now.

Hello ts678
sorry my late feedback … I’ve done the update over the gui. Yesterday i tried to upgrade from version 2.0.4.22 to version 2.0.4.33. No chance … update over GUI failed. Then i switched back to the version 2.0.4.22 - but got this message now:

“The database has version 10 but the largest supported version is 9. This is likely caused by upgrading to a newer version and then downgrading. If this is the case, there is likely a backup file of the previous database version in the folder C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Duplicati.”

Here the general message, if i try to update: System.Exception: Found unexpected file: C:\xxxxxxDuplicati_xxx\updates\2.0.4.22\updates
bei Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.VerifyUnpackedFolder(String folder, UpdateInfo version)

Would be nice if someone can help me out of this. At the moment i can’t update without error. Anyone a good solution? Thanks

Have you tried installing the newer version by downloading the installer package directly?

From original post what’s with PortableApps? Duplicati isn’t available that way from portableapps.com.

Duplicati on Windows installs by default as something that can be run as your user after login, however Windows service install is also possible via Duplicati.WindowsService.exe, but neither is PortableApps.

If you have some sort of unusual original installation, that might explain why the updater gets confused.