Unexpected difference in fileset; unable to delete broken version

Did you save purge output or run list-broken-files or notice what versions the output mentioned? Recovering by purging files gives an example (with more context) of what you might have seen.

It would be interesting if versions 1-6 needed file purge. That’d be consistent with previous idea, however previous idea also thought 1 source file had gone bad, and possibly purge found three.

That was a bit more work than I had hoped. I’m still looking for your server logs from March 14th which was maybe the start of the problem. If pastebin continues to not work, you can paste here.

The March 14 Event Viewer VSS error and MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe crash then are interesting. Possibly there was some general system problem? That’s beyond me, but I can look at Duplicati.

I’m guessing 13th (job log) was OK, but you can look at the Complete log (if you like) for oddities.

There is a small chance that further analysis (especially if a developer expert helps) can make a little more out of this situation, but info is needed such as March 14th logs, purge notes, maybe a database bug report to see how things are after recreate. Comparisons across recreate are hard because everything moves, but might be possible. The purge also throws in some more changes.

It’d probably run a little faster, and with less concern about any lingering issues, but my slow SQL in DB Browser for SQLite (so not even Duplicati) was probably separate. Query after 4 days said:

COUNT(*)

which is what I’d already wrestled out of the database manually earlier, based on a shorter query. Good to know that the full query gets the same answer, and both are still short of 410009 by one.

One approach which might serve your need as well is to keep the questionable backup awhile, if you have space. Starting fresh loses history on everything, and also loses history of the problem.

Even if you started the job from scratch, the server database should have the March 14 logs.
I’m still hoping those can be given so that maybe a problem with fixup on 15th can be known.

Unfortunately I have done something wrong when rebuilding the database, and misplaced the db file and log I backed up because I cannot find them now. The Duplicati job has been working again since removing the three broken files (versions 9-11 (!) IIRC) and rebuilding. I didn’t need to delete anything else manually, the purge and database recreation was enough. The normal Duplicati backup process was then able to do its job and remove old backup versions without issues at the end.

The VSS error is normal and happens every time I think, due to “snapshot-policy” being enabled. Looking the error up on the internet reveals a lot of similar problems but no real solution, at least for me. Won’t harm the backups though, and no warnings from Duplicati so it is able to use snapshots.

It doesn’t matter as long as you didn’t delete Duplicati-server.sqlite database.

How about checking About → Show log → Stored to see if history still exists?

If it’s gone, that’s unfortunate, as it might have helped find a cure for the issue.

But I’m still happy that you were able to recover from this unfortunate problem.