Thousands of "failed to process" errors being thrown each time I run a backup

Hi @rbhalla,

Because the Linux tree rooted at / is composed of so many things mounted on other things, care is required on backups, and more so on restores. “findmnt” gives a tree view. If you lack that, “df” or “mount” might help.

Some tools use default filters (Duplicati has some underway) but their defaults might not fit the exact system.

default-filters

Some tools can remain in one filesystem. Their option name typically refers to filesystem, or perhaps mount.

–one-file-system option

I’ve also heard of people getting to a desired filesystem without all of the other mounts on top by using a bind mount. For example, maybe one could bind mount / readonly somewhere safe, back it up from there, then fix paths on restore. This would get you a broad backup, and take awhile, but using snapshots like the link from @Pectojin mentions (and can be set up on other filesystems) would probably create a better quality backup.

Any plans to support snapshots on the modern Filesystems (ZFS et. al)?

The “Win32 IO returned 25” text might be mono_w32error_unix_to_win32() translating Linux’s EINVAL number into Windows ERROR_SEEK, then Duplicati reporting errors LXCFS handed it as I assume grep is doing here where you can see the grep excludes proc and sys, then errors in lxcfs/cgroup. Maybe error flow is like yours.

If this sounds reasonable, maybe you can update #3303, maybe including a reference to the discussion here.

Thanks!