The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden with google drive

I can definitely restore some files but it leaves me in a position where I’m not sure I could fully trust the backup. The restore gets the same error
Errors: [
Failed to patch with remote file: “duplicati-b4e4a48fab71b4fb5b266a265f4f2ce36.dblock.zip.aes”, message: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. => The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

I made one using onedrive and that’s fine (other than a persistent warning each time saying “The supplied option --auth-password is not supported and will be ignored” that I haven’t yet looked into) but my storage is limited.

All backups made using this Gdrive run into that same issue, I’ll test it out using my personal gmail account and see if it happens as well.

That (unfortunately) makes sense - both tests and restores (basically, anything Duplicati does trying to read the file) get a 403 forbidden error from Google Drive.

So firstly, your backups aren’t useless - we just need to figure out how to fix the permissions and/or get them moved to somewhere that Duplicati does have access to.

However, I haven’t been able to replicate the issue so I’m not really sure how to move forward. I’ll try to screw up my test backup and see what happens, in the mean time maybe @kenkendk will have some thoughts on how Google Drive seems to be taking permissions away from Duplicati somehow.

I am also having the same 403 error. This started in mid-April, although I had not made any changes myself, afaik.

I have tried with various different AuthIDs. The limited one and the Google Cloud one both appear to work with the “Test Connection” but both fail with a 403 error when trying to PUT a file. Details below. The “full access” AuthID doesn’t pass the “Test Connection” check.

I also tried settomg --backup-test-samples to 0, but that had no effect.

I would like to get this working, so any help would be appreciated.

Here is the error:

2018-07-21 11:45:42Z - Warning: Operation Put with file duplicati-b8cfefc7091904632bf3d8eb936eff724.dblock.zip.aes attempt 5 of 5 failed with message: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
  at Duplicati.Library.Utility.AsyncHttpRequest+AsyncWrapper.GetResponseOrStream () [0x0004d] in <ee64f868b6f045558cec6586f8b10535>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Utility.AsyncHttpRequest.GetResponse () [0x00044] in <ee64f868b6f045558cec6586f8b10535>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Backend.GoogleServices.GoogleCommon.ChunckedUploadWithResume[TRequest,TResponse] (Duplicati.Library.OAuthHelper oauth, TRequest requestdata, System.String url, System.IO.Stream stream, System.String method) [0x000b2] in <cdffd5c638f64356a033cb359f34a82c>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Backend.GoogleCloudStorage.GoogleCloudStorage.Put (System.String remotename, System.IO.Stream stream) [0x0002e] in <cdffd5c638f64356a033cb359f34a82c>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager.DoPut (Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager+FileEntryItem item) [0x001fa] in <58e8c5524db44e0b90941d03cee35b2e>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager.ThreadRun () [0x000da] in <58e8c5524db44e0b90941d03cee35b2e>:0 

2018-07-21 11:45:42Z - Error: Fatal error
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.HandleFilesystemEntry (Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.ISnapshotService snapshot, Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager backend, System.String path, System.IO.FileAttributes attributes) [0x0000e] in <58e8c5524db44e0b90941d03cee35b2e>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.RunMainOperation (Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.ISnapshotService snapshot, Duplicati.Library.Main.BackendManager backend) [0x0018a] in <58e8c5524db44e0b90941d03cee35b2e>:0 
  at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run (System.String[] sources, Duplicati.Library.Utility.IFilter filter) [0x00677] in <58e8c5524db44e0b90941d03cee35b2e>:0

Okay, I figured it out. My “free trial” Google Cloud account had expired, and I was not aware of it. I upgraded the billing and now Duplicati is working again.
I’ll leave this here in case anyone else might be experiencing the same thing.

Hi @liam, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing what you figured out. It sounds like the 403 forbidden message is a generic error returned by Google for all sorts of things including account expired (your experience), maybe bandwidth limit exceeded, and who knows what else! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Definitely seems so. I backed up to a friend’s GDrive and no issues. Everytime I use mine though, always the error. Both are education accounts with unlimited storage

I’m also having the same 403 error. I backup 70 computer to GG drive and have 10 computer error.

at Duplicati.Library.Main.AsyncDownloader.AsyncDownloaderEnumerator.AsyncDownloadedFile.get_TempFile()
at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.CompactHandler.DoCompact(LocalDeleteDatabase db, Boolean hasVerifiedBackend, IDbTransaction& transaction, BackendManager sharedBackend)
at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.DeleteHandler.DoRun(LocalDeleteDatabase db, IDbTransaction& transaction, Boolean hasVerifiedBacked, Boolean forceCompact, BackendManager sharedManager)
at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.CompactIfRequired(BackendManager backend, Int64 lastVolumeSize)
at Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String sources, IFilter filter)
at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.b__0(BackupResults result)
at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)
at Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String inputsources, IFilter filter)
at Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)

1 Like