The backup storage destination is missing data files

I’m glad a solution was found but puzzled by the original problem, and wondering about possibilities like client-side caching. Rather than speculate on detailed map behavior I could have asked if you’d restarted Windows. Making things extra confusing, SMB on some routers is older than current. See SMB1 Product Clearinghouse

Duplicati only does a few simple operations on the storage destination, which is how it can use such a variety. There’s nothing very special about listing files (as far as I know), yet somehow you got a very unusual answer.

I had read/write access. It was the first thing I tested.

Indeed no, I haven’t restarted windows. A cache problem? Maybe. I realized that something was wrong when I start copying a very large file (1Gb) to the pendrive. The copy operation run in the background but the progress bar did stay fixed (on the fat32 pendrive the progress bar advanced regularly). When copying an even larger file (>1Gb) the copy operation run in the background with a fixed progress bar but at a certain point I got an error.
Maybe a windows restart did can resolve the issue but since the router does not support exFat explicitely, as the manual states, I feel myself safer after having formatted the pendrive with ntfs filesystem.

Thanks for the follow-up! I went ahead and flagged your “I found it!” post as the solution - let me know if you disagree.

Hello,

I had the same error message.

My backup destination is a USB harddrive attached to a FritzBox router as NAS.
It happened that the device name the box had given to the drive changed from TOSHIBA-ExternalUSB3-0-01 to TOSHIBA-ExternalUSB3-0-11.
So my backup destination (either specified as FTP or UNC path) was not available anymore.

So the error message was missleading a bit here?!

Regards
Joachim Werner

Welcome to the forum @jwerner

What does this change that’s visible over FTP or UNC, e.g. is it part of the path to your files?

I’d have thought that it would be invisible over the network, but seemingly it breaks files view?

The device name is part of the UNC path.
So in the first place the device is not visible.
But the following Duplicati message is not really related then.

To message about “missing data files” when the paths do not exist seems extremely related to me,
unless you are saying that it could be diagnosed to the next level to say that entire folder is missing.