Survey for Linux users, which version of Mono do you have installed?

I think the idea was as below:

and I’m not sure if you normally use OneDrive, but if you do, you’re not having the above issue somehow. There have been reports of failure, and they probably don’t need another, but success may be interesting.

mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 6.0.0.313 (tarball Sun Jul 14 09:55:48 UTC 2019)
Copyright © 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (20190806) - Mono JIT compiler version 5.20.1.19 (tarball Wed Jul 17 14:05:12 UTC 2019)

Mono JIT compiler version 6.0.0.319 (tarball Mon Aug 12 23:49:12 UTC 2019)

On Ubuntu 16.04

Is everyone using the mono repo for the installation of mono?
As instructed here: https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin

I’m using the standard Debian repo. If it caused me problems, I’d switch to the official mono-project repo.

The Debian repo looks pretty current in using the semi-latest v5 of mono at 5.18 though 5.20 is out.

For example, the Ubuntu versions can be found here:
https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu/dists/stable-bionic/snapshots/

I found a very informative matrix for mono versions in various repo’s.
https://repology.org/project/mono/versions

im using the mono repo to fix a box.com issue:
Survey for Linux users, which version of Mono do you have installed?
but now i have a onedrive.com issue.

Isn’t the repo tied to a release? Debian 10 only came out last month. Here are the supported Debians:

Package mono-complete

jessie (oldoldstable) (cli-mono): complete Mono runtime, development tools and all libraries
    3.2.8+dfsg-10+deb8u1 [security]: amd64 armel armhf i386
    stretch (oldstable) (cli-mono): complete Mono runtime, development tools and all libraries
    4.6.2.7+dfsg-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mipsel ppc64el s390x
    buster (stable) (cli-mono): complete Mono runtime, development tools and all libraries
    5.18.0.240+dfsg-3: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mipsel ppc64el s390x
    bullseye (testing) (cli-mono): complete Mono runtime, development tools and all libraries
    5.18.0.240+dfsg-3: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mipsel ppc64el s390x
    sid (unstable) (cli-mono): complete Mono runtime, development tools and all libraries
    5.18.0.240+dfsg-3: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mipsel ppc64 ppc64el s390x

Fedora 31 Aims To Finally Offer Mono 5 For Open-Source .NET Support mentions issues slowing release of a newer mono for Fedora. Fedora 30 from April 2019 didn’t make it out of mono 4.8 as had been hoped.

Even aside from such technical hurdles, distributions seem to frown on throwing things into the tested mix:

Advice For New Users On Not Breaking Their Debian System

StableReleaseUpdates (Ubuntu)

Upgrade the Mono version to 5.x is a Ubuntu issue citing the same (temporary) technical issue Fedora hit, then the update got in Ubuntu 19, someone’s asking about 18.04 LTS, and I suspect 20.04 LTS will have it.

I think it comes down to a question of how far Duplicati can ask the typical user to upgrade their system or their mono (which would risk their system, e.g. by dragging in some new dependencies that break things).

Actually doing the “ask” is another challenge because Duplicati’s updates don’t know about dependencies. Initial install does (at least on some OS versions), but that’s done once. Update drops in, and runs (or not).

Though this survey is probably far from random, I’m interested in what people think of upgrade challenges.

As per discussion in another thread, I just realized that I don’t actually know which program to check to answer your question.

I have installed Duplicati2 for the first time in september 2017, and I checked the installation instructions only back then. Afterwards, I have not looked for updates. Now that I did, I learned that you require us to install mono-devel, not something called mono.

When I answered your question, I gave the version of mono, and ignored mono-devel. I have not installed or upgraded either of them, so I have for both the version that comes with Ubuntu 16.04. Apparently, the mono-devel version is recent enough for you (but mono is not).

This goes to show I had no clue of what mono is. Might I be the only one here?