Some feedback and experience with a restore

Is this the automatic default log (summary), the live log mentioned there (better), or a –log-file (best)?
Many warnings and errors supply details which the summary removes, so it’s hard to say what this is.

https://github.com/duplicati/duplicati/blob/v2.0.5.1-2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18/Duplicati/Library/Main/Operation/RestoreHandler.cs allows some guessing, though I didn’t write it, and am not expert.

PatchingFileLocalFailed looks like something went wrong while working original source blocks for file, which seems odd if this is still the 3rd party computer that presumably doesn’t have your original files.

MetadataWriteFailed would (I think) usually just be simple things like timestamps unless restore does more, e.g. you check Restore read/write permissions, in which case the NTFS ACL is restored.

PatchingFailed (unlike PatchingFileLocalFailed) is in the working with remote dblocks used to rebuild files back to desired form. I’m not sure what happens on this error. Possibly the file didn’t rebuild right.

RestoreFileFailed is in file integrity testing, and it makes sense if this is the file where PatchingFailed, otherwise I’m not sure. There’s a detailed message on this one (like on the rest) that could say more.
EDIT: On second glance, the others are more useful. This one is sending an exception to itself I think.

Or possibly a problem in upload. Before 2.0.5.1, throttling (speed limit) on connection use could cause scrambled files that aren’t findable by the usual name and length check. The Verifying backend files is sampled verification balanced among files, but incomplete unless configured up. It might have missed.

Before 2.0.5.1 download could also corrupt files, but that was easily corrected by turning off throttling…

Arguing against this theory is that damaged remote files are usually encrypted, so you get a decryption complaint first. If they’re not encrypted you might get a complaint when its hash (integrity check) is run.

There have been other backup integrity bugs fixed in 2.0.5.1 as well. Possibly you had hidden damage.

Duplicati.CommandLine.RecoveryTool.exe is more forgiving of certain types of damage, but whether it needs to be tried is an individual choice depending on how much would be gained by the extra effort…