Snapshot policy - Backing up Virtual Servers

Hi, Please can anyone help me with the following errors.

• 2020-08-29 23:00:01 +01 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Modules.Builtin.HyperVOptions-MustSetSnapshotPolicy]: Snapshot policy have to be set to “required” when backuping Hyper-V virtual machines. Changing to “required” to continue
  • 2020-08-29 23:00:02 +01 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller-UnsupportedOption]: The supplied option --auth-username is not supported and will be ignored
  • 2020-08-29 23:00:02 +01 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller-UnsupportedOption]: The supplied option --auth-password is not supported and will be ignored

Im backing up 3 virtual servers form HyperV to OneDrive v2

Thanks
Mick

Welcome to the forum @Mickhawo

Does “Changing to “required” to continue” stick around, or happen on further runs (i.e. temporary change)?
Editing an existing backup then Options screen 5 Advanced options is a permanent method, if required.
Note the note that snapshot-policy requires administrative privileges enabled. This is sometimes awkward.
Autostart as Admin is the most recent discussion of this. Another option is to Install Duplicati as a service.

Before you were on OneDrive v2, were you on a Storage Type where you set username and password? Duplicati is sometimes not good at clearing these when Storage Type changes, but on the Destination screen 2 to the right of Backup Destination you can use the three dot-menu to manually edit out extras.

Hi, Thanks for that… Im trying to run as a service and run as Admin so that snapshot will work for backing up my virtual servers however i get an error when I run the dos command saying Unsupported 16 Bit application. Im Running Windows Server 2016 x64 on this one. I have tried on Windows server 2012r2 x64 and Server 2019 and it creates the service.
Please can you advise on the Server 2016 one? its the same version i have installed. duplicati-2.0.5.1_beta_2020-01-18-x64
Cheers
Mick

The “incompatibility with 64-bit version of Windows” has only come up once before here that I can find.

Duplicati as a service in Windows 10 fixed it with an uninstall and reinstall of Duplicati. You could try…

Do any of the Duplicati .exe files run, e.g. does Duplicati.CommandLine.exe help do help screen?

Your Duplicati version needs .NET Framework 4.6.2 or higher.

Hi, I have removed Duplicati and re-installed, I also didn’t have .Net installed on that server. I can confirm it now lets me add as a service following the install. I’m still not managing to backup Virtual Servers though even with the snapshot policy added and set to required under Advanced settings. I just get this…

Im basically want to backup 9 sites to OneDrive for business - Education. Id sooner backup the virtual servers straight from the Physical servers rather than backing up individual folder shares. Anyway your support is much appreciated as id love to get this working. Thanks

Also forgot to mention that i get database is locked. i think this is in reference to the sims server as its all based around SQL…

The screenshot is clipped but it looks like you got a backupof about 1.18 TB source, taking about 26 hours.

The three warnings were commented on earlier, however it sounds like the new Advanced option setting to required wasn’t enough to avoid that warning. Can you look at options and make sure option is still there?

I don’t have any Hyper-V to backup, but I don’t see any other references to “Snapshot policy have to be set to “required” when backuping Hyper-V virtual machines.” unless they’re screenshots, thus not searchable.

Regarding the second two warnings on extra options,

I’m not hearing that you edited the destination via Copy Destination URL to Clipboard (edit out extras) then Import Destination URL. You can also look in Advanced options. There’s extra stuff somewhere.

Has this been resolved? I get the same warning stating that it’s enabling and continues.

thanks,

Steve