Small backup file size?

Let me preface this by saying that I’m completely new to Duplicati, so please be a little patient with me.

I just set up a general backup of my boot drive on Duplicati. It is supposed to be backed up to a NAS PC configured by TrueNAS SCALE. I connected the NAS PC to my main PC via a network share, and configured the backup destination in the network folder. I expected the size up my backup to be near 488 GB. When I performed my first backup, the size ended up being only 2 KB. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Did you get any errors or warnings?

This isn’t the cause of your issue, but note that Duplicati isn’t designed to do a full system backup (aka image level backup). You cannot back up or restore Windows itself. I would use Duplicati to only back up your user generated data files.

Oh I see. I think I misunderstood the purpose of this program. Are there any open source programs that accomplish full image backup? I will still use this program for quicker backups of documents.

By the way, it seems the issue was that I accidentally added a filter during the configuration screen that was excluding all files.

The only open source one I have experience with is CloneZilla. It’s great but doesn’t do online imaging.

I personally use Macrium Reflect on my Windows PCs for image level backup. It’s not open source though.