Significant Duplicati + Cryptomator Issues

So I have a 300 GiB amount of stuff inside my cryptomator folder and I have made an initial backup of it using duplicati. I made like maybe ±100 MiB amount of changes to my cryptomator files and for some reason when I ran my duplicati backup it decides to transfer the whole 300 GB again instead of only the changes. Any ideas why?

Is Duplicati pointed at the unencrypted mounted drive or the encrypted folder?

1 Like

Pointed only at the encrypted folder with the cryptomator masterkey, not the mounted unencrypted virtual drive.

If the big backup is still running, you could look at the live log About --> Show logs --> Live --> Verbose

2019-05-29 11:00:27 -04 - [Verbose-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FilePreFilterProcess.FileEntry-CheckFileForChanges]: Checking file for changes C:\PortableApps\Notepad++Portable\App\Notepad++\backup\webpages.txt@2019-05-26_065040, new: False, timestamp changed: True, size changed: True, metadatachanged: True, 5/29/2019 2:59:43 PM vs 5/29/2019 12:32:57 PM

is an example of how Duplicati looks at a variety of factors to see if it should examine a file for changes, however if it’s actually uploading file data then it must be finding big changes as it reads through files…

Duplicati treats the files in the cryptomator encrypted folder as it would any other file. So long as the encrypted files are not modified Duplicati will see them as already backed up.

I agree with @ts678 that the files must have changed if they were backed up again.