Running Duplicati using a standard user vs root

So, I followed the instructions in this GitHub issue to set up Duplicati on a headless server. Later on, the user that created the instructions mentioned that he’s running as a standard user, rather than root.

Now, I originally was running Duplicati in a docker container, using a standard user account, and I ran into issues where if I tried to restore the files original owner & permissions, it would fail. So this is why I went the route of installing Duplicati on the server directly, and running as root.

But I would like to run as a regular user if possible. Is it possible to do such a thing, and configure the user such that they would be able to restore file owner and permissions? Or am I stuck running Duplicati as root?

1 Like

Running as a non-root user should work just fine, keeping in mind that you’ll only be able to back up items that the non-root user has access to.

As long as the --restore-permissions=true parameter is included during the restore you should get your permissions back as well.

restore-permissions
By default permissions are not restored as they might prevent you from accessing your files. Use this option to restore the permissions as well.

Weird. I was not having that experience when attempting to restore files with that flag included. When my backup set is rebuilt in my current configuration, I will switch to running as the standard user again and try again, and capture the error if it happens again.

Odd indeed - though to be honest I haven’t had a need to use that feature myself, so it’s possible you’ve found a failure scenario.

Please do let us know how it works for you (wongly or correctly) on your next restore.

1 Like