Restore GUI not working correct with UNC source

#1

Version: Canary 22.11.2017 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

I tried to restore a backup and the Restore shows me this:

As you can see: the folder is opened! Nothing in the backup?

If I then search for “Backslash” I get folders and files (but with no names):

If I then remove the “Backslash” from the search my directories and folders are shown:

UNC source with credentials?
#2

You didn’t happen to get an XSRF related error before you had this odd GUI experience, did you?

Oh, and did you try to restore from the job, direct from backup files, or from a configuration?

#3

No XSRF error. I repeated it:

  • Duplicati running
  • Closed Google Chrome
  • Opened Google Chrome

image

Empty:
image

Click on the small triangle beside the folder. Also empty:
image

I can then also search for “e” and get files and folder. But not all (not each path contains an e):
image

So I search for a backslash and then it is weired! If I search for an e and then for a backslash I get this (with files and folder names):

image

If I start again with “restore” and then search for a backslash I get an empty structure:

It seems to me that there is a problem with paths starting with a double blackslash! This backslashes are shown hier as 2 folders.

image

And to answer your last question: A restore is working!

1 Like
#4

While it’s bad that finding the files to restore in the GUI is very flaky for you it’s good that the actual restore works.

I haven’t run into double backslashes before except when dealing with UNC shares - is your source a UNC share or do you have some unusual (at least to me) folder structure or symlinks/hardlinks on a local drive?

#5

I think I have no unusual folder structure. It is just \\host\share\folder…

No symbolic links, no hard links.

As you can see in the last screenshot if you just combine the 2 backslashes that were shown as seperate folders you have my source paths:

\\golem\sandisk64_r…
\\thorn1\backup_r…
\\thorn2\c_r…

golem, thorn1, thorn2 are Windows 7 hosts
sandisk64_r, backup_r, c_r are Windows share names

#6

That makes sense. I’ll see if I can replicate the issue. If I can I have a good guess where the code needs updating.

In theory, it wouldn’t be a problem as a mapped drive…

#7

I also think that the problem would not appear with mapped drives. But the alphabet has just 26 letters :wink:

#8

Stupid alphabet. Maybe if you change to Katakana you can get 46 drive letters. :smile:

I’m using 2.0.2.12_canary_2017-10-20 and my GUI browse test of a restore from a backup with only UNC as source worked just fine. Does your backup have mixed drive letter & UNC sources or is it just drive UNC?

(BTW - I updated the topic title to reflect that this seems to be a UNC source related issue.)

#9

Sorry for late response…

As you can see in one of the screenshots I have 4 sources on 3 different hosts. Each source is a directory. No mix of UNC and Drive-Letters:

\\golem\sandisk64_r\myportables\
\\thorn1\backup_r\sandsik64_mir\
\\thorn1\backup_r\thorn2_mir\
\\thorn2\C_R\data\
#10

I don’t have my Windows 7 box to test with anymore but I tried another test with two UNC references rather than one.

While I didn’t get your restore issue, I was able to get a Null Reference Error when trying to restore from the version of the backup with multiple UNC source paths. Versions with a single UNC source path work fine.

#11

I tried it again and with “Duplicati Beta (2.0.2.1_beta_2017-08-01)” I get an Error “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

Clicked ok, searched for Backslash, removed the Backslash from the search field, opened the path, marked everything and restored it => everything restored to local drive.

=> with the beta I get an error and the restore worked
=> with canary (2.0.2.13_canary_2017-11-22) I do not get the Error Message but also need to search for something so see my files and the restore also worked

#12

Thanks for the step-by-step!

Using 2.0.2.12_canary_2017-10-20 I was able to replicate your experience via:

  1. do a backup of a source containing two different UNC paths (in my case the same share but with different case, e.g. \UNCTEST\TestDataA & \unctest\TestDataB)
  2. go to restore and get a null object reference error and never-ending spinner on restore tree
  3. enter “.” in the “Search for files” field and click the Search button
  4. get the full tree of data to be restored BUT showing under tree of folder (no name) then folder () then folder () then share (UNCTEST)

Now that I’ve replicated the error I can hopefully look into fixing it. Until then, it’s good to know the restores worked correctly for you!

Recovery not listing directorys and files
#13

And if you remove the “.” from the search field (but do not press search, just remove the search value) you will get the folders and files and you will then also be able to restore them.

#14

On a slightly related note I’ve started a topic to see how much interest there is in UNC sources.

1 Like
#15

This issue appears to have been mentioned on GitHub: