Repair doesnt work

I couldn’t find my original post so I tested the database Repair process again (using 2.0.3.9 canary) on a very small (200M source) backup with the following results:

• Deleting all 17 .dindex files and running REPAIR resulted in 17 fresh (dated today) .dindex files being created in just over 1 minute
  • Deleting all 18 .dlist files and running REPAIR resulted in 18 fresh (dated today) .dlist files being created in just over 1 minute (though ONE file was flagged with a warning of being uploaded with size X but should be size Y)
  • Deleting all 17 .dindex AND all 18 .dlist files and running REPAIR resulted in 35 fresh (dated today) files being created in 1.5 minutes

So I’d say yes - at least with 2.0.3.9 it is safe to delete all .dindex and/or .dlist files as they can be recreated from the local database ASSUMING the local database is in good condition.

My GUESS is that even if a user has no local database it would still be safe to do the tests I just did, they would simply take longer as all the .dblock files would have to be downloaded and parsed to recreate the missing .dlist and/or .dindex files.

Let me know if you’d like me to test that as well.