Removing an old setting that doesn't exist anymore: SOLVED

Hi there,

In the last week or so, I’ve been getting warnings with 3 of my backup jobs (it seems to coincide with the last Canary update I installed, but I can’t be 100% sure).

The warning goes like this:

2018-04-24 14:00:00 +02 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller-UnsupportedOption]: The supplied option --default-filters is not supported and will be ignored

But this “default filters” thing doesn’t exist in the front end anymore (under filters in the Source Data page, where it used to live) so I can’t turn it off this way. I exported the config to a file and - sure enough - the little bugger is in there:

{
“Filter”: “”,
“Name”: “–default-filters”,
“Value”: “Windows”,
“Argument”: null
}
So I have this as a .json file, can I just remove this item and import it back over the top of the existing job? Or do I have to create a new job based on my amended json file? And if the latter, how can I associate my previous backups to the new job? Is that even possible?

Thanks very much!
Meta

Nope, that won’t work. When you import the job from the .json file a new job will be created (it won’t overwrite the existing job). Though I suppose technically you could do that anyway, map the new job database location to the old job database location then delete the old job… but I think that’s the hard way to do it.

If you go to step 5 (Options) of the job edit process and click on “Edit as text” to the right of the “Advanced options” line are you able to find and remove the offending --default-filters line that way?

I too have the same issue. I went to step 5 (Options) like you suggested and tried the “Edit as text” unfortunately --default-filters was NOT listed so I was unable to remove.

1 Like

If you use the job menu “Export …” link, select “As Command-line”, then click the “Export” button do you see --default-filters in the commandline version?

Yes the export shows --default-filters=All

I think the --default-filters option is actually hiding on step 3 under filters when you edit as text. At least I vaguely remember something like that

In any case, maybe we should have Duplicati auto-remove it on upgrade?

1 Like

But then you are silently altering an existing backup config. And unless the new parameter has a setting that matches the old one we can’t automatically shift to the new one either.

I think allowing the parameter to be used but having use cause a “this has been retired / depricated, use that instead” warning is the right way to go. But there has to be a way to turn off the old parm.

You are totally correct - I was thinking of the wrong page in my post above, thanks for catching that!

1 Like

Agreed there has to be a to turn off the old parm.

Because that method doesn’t appear exist today, is there any other way to address the issue we’re seeing short of recreating the backups from scratch (which I don’t really want to do)? Would downgrading work and any issues doing that?

Yes (it should work) and no (no issues doing that).

The SAFEST way to temporarily downgrade on Windows is with something like this:

1. Use the main menu “About” → “System info” Button to confirm your currently running version.

2. Disable any “Automatically run backups” options on step 4 (Schedule) of your backup. (Technically this isn’t needed, but it makes sure you don’t suddenly get a backup starting while you’re working in the old version.)

3. Stop Duplicati tray-icon and service AS applicable. (On Windows you can use Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager then select the Services tab to get access to stopping / starting the Duplicati service.)

4. Go into your C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates or C:\Users\<Duplicati user account>\AppData\Local\Duplicati\updates\ folder and delete (or move it out of updates) the most recent version folder. (Note that if you’re

5. Start Duplicati.

6. Use the main menu “About” → “System info” Button to confirm you are no longer running the version from step 1.

Once on the old version is verified, edit the job to remove the setting you want to get rid of.

If you just moved away the more recent version folder in step 4 above then just stop Duplicati, put the folder back, and start it again. Alternatively, you can re-do the update via the GUI (it will simply re-download the update again and recreate the folder).

When you’re all done, don’t forget to re-enable any scheduling you may have disabled in step 2!

Note that I have tested the above on my Windows 10 machine and I needed to go back to version 2.0.3.4 (or older) to get access to the old “Default filters” section.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I just realised that I never got back to you on this - I downgraded to a previous version (I think 2 versions back, but can’t remember now…) and it worked: I was able to remove those settings from my affected jobs, and then re-upgrade again!

Just a note for anyone else trying this - it may be because I didn’t restart the service in the background, but I found that I wasn’t able to see the old settings in the admin page until after I’d rebooted my PC.
Thanks very much for your help @JonMikelV :slight_smile:
Cheers!

1 Like

Glad to hear it worked for you!

A Downgrading / reverting to a lower version #howto guide has been created since my post, so hopefully any people bumping into this can also check out that guide. :slight_smile:

1 Like

On Linux (Debian/Ubuntu), downgrading seemed a bit too much faff, so I elected to edit the database to remove the option. With sqlite3 installed you can do:

sqlite3 ~/.config/Duplicati/Duplicati-server.sqlite \
'DELETE FROM Option WHERE Name="--default-filters";'

Obviously you should stop duplicati and make a backup of the sqlite file first.