Recreating Database completes and no files are restored

I’ve tried three times to restore my Unraid Appdata backup following a crash of my cache drive. Each attempt has taken almost three days but I thought I was doing something wrong. I finally decided to also install Duplicati on my Windows machine and see if I am able to restore there and move the files over.

Clearly nothing worked or I would not be writing this. The backup files are stored on OneDrive. I will have to wait for my latest attempt on Unraid to see post that log.

Even though I recreated the database it recreates it again when restarting the restore. This is simply ridiculous.

here are the final Explicit Only log entries

• Jul 14, 2019 7:18 AM: Failed to load assembly D:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage.dll, error message: Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.Data.Services.Client, Version=5.8.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’ or one of its dependencies. The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

• Jul 14, 2019 7:18 AM: Failed to load assembly D:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage.dll, error message: Could not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.Data.Services.Client, Version=5.8.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35’ or one of its dependencies. The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

• Jul 14, 2019 7:16 AM: The operation Repair has completed

So to follow up, the third attempt to restore directly on my Unraid server completed with no files restored and the log simply shows completion:

• Jul 15, 2019 6:27 AM: The operation Repair has completed

• Jul 15, 2019 6:27 AM: Running Repair took 2:09:54:27.868

a 934,120 KB file (dup-406b7478-6d5d-441a-98d9-6415c0317757) was created. Is there something I can do with this?

An updated OneDrive/Azure library will hopefully be included in the next release if my submission is accepted. Hopefully that resolves the problem.

For Windows, I suppose you could try an uninstall and reinstall to see if it straightens itself out over DLLs. Maybe something didn’t go correctly the first time. Another possibility is a Global Assembly Cache issue, however web research suggets that these can be a pain to resolve without special techniques and tools. Having Windows up (as it should be), though, wouldn’t help the Linux restore. Windows is too different…

Could you clarify what you’re doing on Unraid? There’s something called Direct restore from backup files available, however the fact that you’re seeing logs makes me wonder if you rebuilt the backup job then did Restore as if the database existed already. Mine, though, tells me to Repair when I hit the Restore button. There’s a log for the Repair, but it’s successful, and I get the database where the Database tab expects it.

Have you looked inside your Repair log to see if there’s anything odd in it? You can also watch the live log from the server at About --> Show log --> Live --> Verbose during your Repair (or whatever) for any clues.

The last three lines of the log during my Repair are:

* Jul 20, 2019 9:24 PM: The operation Repair has completed

* Jul 20, 2019 9:24 PM: Recreate completed, and consistency checks completed, marking database as complete

* Jul 20, 2019 9:24 PM: Recreate completed, verifying the database consistency

Maybe you’re on the same Unraid Duplicati database that you’ve been using all along? If so, there should be many logs. What is its recent history? Any Errors or Warnings? Any cases of Repair making logs with no specific Repair ask? Or was there actually a specific Repair request somewhere in the recovery try?

It’s not possible to say much about what happened without more information, including how the existing summary logs look, and maybe later getting a better look with live log or –log-file option with –log-file-log-level set to at least Information. There are other levels. Verbose wasn’t that much, and might be used.

Other options include the direct restore mentioned earlier, and Duplicati.CommandLine.RecoveryTool.exe.

The problem was that the appdata drive crashed and I was trying to rebuild it from the backup. So no history, logs, or an existing profile.

In any case, I gave up and have rebuilt everything from scratch and I don’t think I will be using Duplicati as my backup solution going forward.