QuickBooks "The process cannot access the file" errors

Here is what I did…On Duplicati, I setup two backup jobs one for MWF (monday, wed…etc) and the other for TTh. Labeled the external drives for use on on those days, and am monitoring it.

Having a problem with Snapshot option and Quickbooks files. error log posted below.
DeletedFiles: 0

DeletedFolders: 0

ModifiedFiles: 0

ExaminedFiles: 10542

OpenedFiles: 2

AddedFiles: 0

SizeOfModifiedFiles: 0

SizeOfAddedFiles: 0

SizeOfExaminedFiles: 29993954342

SizeOfOpenedFiles: 0

NotProcessedFiles: 0

AddedFolders: 0

TooLargeFiles: 0

FilesWithError: 2

ModifiedFolders: 0

ModifiedSymlinks: 0

AddedSymlinks: 0

DeletedSymlinks: 0

PartialBackup: False

Dryrun: False

MainOperation: Backup

CompactResults: null

DeleteResults:

DeletedSets: []

Dryrun: False

MainOperation: Delete

CompactResults: null

ParsedResult: Success

EndTime: 5/18/2018 2:56:32 PM (1526669792)

BeginTime: 5/18/2018 2:56:31 PM (1526669791)

Duration: 00:00:00.8762106

BackendStatistics:

RemoteCalls: 5

BytesUploaded: 0

BytesDownloaded: 53897495

FilesUploaded: 0

FilesDownloaded: 3

FilesDeleted: 0

FoldersCreated: 0

RetryAttempts: 0

UnknownFileSize: 0

UnknownFileCount: 0

KnownFileCount: 669

KnownFileSize: 17378667385

LastBackupDate: 5/18/2018 2:53:35 PM (1526669615)

BackupListCount: 3

TotalQuotaSpace: 2000364236800

FreeQuotaSpace: 582877155328

AssignedQuotaSpace: -1

ReportedQuotaError: False

ReportedQuotaWarning: False

RepairResults: null

TestResults:

MainOperation: Test

Verifications: [

Key: duplicati-20180517T020000Z.dlist.zip.aes

Value: [],

Key: duplicati-id94f02b919284e2aa85ae3eba9cf595c.dindex.zip.aes

Value: [],

Key: duplicati-b5343fccd2c7e4481ba399c7c53de9263.dblock.zip.aes

Value: []

]

EndTime: 5/18/2018 2:56:34 PM (1526669794)

BeginTime: 5/18/2018 2:56:32 PM (1526669792)

Duration: 00:00:02.1229260

ParsedResult: Error

EndTime: 5/18/2018 2:56:34 PM (1526669794)

BeginTime: 5/18/2018 2:56:27 PM (1526669787)

Duration: 00:00:07.4679017

No remote filesets were deleted,

removing file listed as Temporary: duplicati-be9b751be49564c90ab4c8f20a1a7bab3.dblock.zip.aes,

removing file listed as Temporary: duplicati-i875d56f37fd24abf8f618e36b2df177c.dindex.zip.aes

]

Warnings: [

Failed to process path: C:\shared\qb\fixed_ellis sales inc qbenterprise.qbw => The process cannot access the file 'C:\shared\qb\fixed_ellis sales inc qbenterprise.qbw' because it is being used by another process.,

Failed to process path: C:\shared\qb\fixed_ellis sales inc qbenterprise.qbw.TLG => The process cannot access the file 'C:\shared\qb\fixed_ellis sales inc qbenterprise.qbw.TLG' because it is being used by another process.

]

Errors: []

Any ideas??

Doug

What are you using for your --snapshot-policy setting (see below)?

--snapshot-policy
This setting controls the usage of snapshots, which allows Duplicati to backup files that are locked by other programs. If this is set to “off”, Duplicati will not attempt to create a disk snapshot. Setting this to “auto” makes Duplicati attempt to create a snapshot, and fail silently if that was not allowed or supported (note that the OS may still log system warnings). A setting of “on” will also make Duplicati attempt to create a snapshot, but will produce a warning message in the log if it fails. Setting it to “required” will make Duplicati abort the backup if the snapshot creation fails. On windows this uses the Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) and requires administrative privileges. On Linux this uses Logical Volume Management (LVM) and requires root privileges.
Default value: “off”

Is there a specific multi-USB issue you were having troubles with?

Are you using either of these parms to help keep Duplicati from backing up to the wrong USB drive?

--alternate-destination-marker
This option only works when the --alternate-target-paths option is also specified. If there are alternate paths specified, this option indicates the name of a marker file that must be present in the folder. This can be used to handle situations where an external drive changes drive letter or mount point. By ensuring that a certain file exists, it is possible to prevent writing data to an unwanted external drive. The contents of the file are never examined, only file existence.
Default value: “”

--alternate-destination-marker
This option only works when the --alternate-target-paths option is also specified. If there are alternate paths specified, this option indicates the name of a marker file that must be present in the folder. This can be used to handle situations where an external drive changes drive letter or mount point. By ensuring that a certain file exists, it is possible to prevent writing data to an unwanted external drive. The contents of the file are never examined, only file existence.
Default value: “”

I have tried On, Auto, and Required…all seem to fail the same way. Backup is currently set to use external 2tb WD passport drives.

Also, The external USB drives are not connected at the same time! One is stored off-site while the other is used for backup.

Doug

I’ve been using multiple external drives from backups without any problems. it’s much easier to backup to local drives lots of data, as well as local drives provide much faster recovery, if the site isn’t completely destroyed.

Cloud + Local (external) drives are the way to go for me.

Also data which isn’t critical, is only backed up to external drives. And there’s lots of it (terabytes). Backing this to cloud would take a while. Also recovering it from cloud would take also quite a while.

I haven’t experienced any problems with Duplicati. Except file system corruption, but that’s not duplicati issue. It’s like having bad usb hub and disconnecting exFAT drive while writing to it. Yeah, it’s bad and it happens, but that’s life.

If the issue is solely that you’re getting The process cannot access the file warnings then I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with the USB drives.

From the symptoms I would expect there to be a warning / error in either the job or main Stored log about not being able to create a snapshot.

I don’t believe the problem is with the External drives themselves. Duplicati “snapshot” feature/option does not seem to be able to perform it’s function.

Any additional ideas/suggestions would be appreciated!

Doug

Since the issue you’re having isn’t related to USB drive use I’ve gone ahead and moved things to their own topic.

On Windows Duplicati uses the standard Windows VSS functionality - either a snapshot is made or it isn’t. If it isn’t and your --snapshot-policy is set to on then you should get a warning and the backup will continue (not including in-use files) and if it’s set to required you should get an error and the backup should fail.

If you’re using on or required and NOT getting a warning or error then Windows VSS isn’t allowing access to the in-use files and there’s nothing Duplicati can do about it.

I believe other users have mentioned QuickBooks files but NOT having the issue you describe so perhaps it’s something unique to your system. Can you try posting your backup job exported “As command-line” (with personal stuff like email address, passwords, etc. removed) so we can make sure there isn’t something else going wrong? Oh, and what versions of Windows and Duplicati are you using?

Having a the same issue. Running windows server 2019, duplicati beta version and running quickbooks 2020. Here is the error message. And users are currently using the files. The rest of the files are backed up with the exception of the open files. Running webgui version.

2021-11-04 12:57:53 -07 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: D:\Accounting\IFS 2021.QBW
2021-11-04 12:57:53 -07 - [Warning-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.Backup.FileBlockProcessor.FileEntry-PathProcessingFailed]: Failed to process path: D:\Accounting\IFS

Resolved quickbook issue with the following:

• run duplicati as administrator
  • enabled VSS on server
  • added setting on duplicati under settings, default options, edit as text and inserted the variable
    –snapshot-policy = off

backup ran fine afterwards.

Is this a typo? Pretty sure you mean on/auto/required here.

In any case, glad you resolved your issue and thank you for following up!

That is correct. I set it ON