Problems with --alternate-destination-marker

When specifying an --alternate-destination-marker together with --alternate-target-paths the following problems are noticed:

• if the name of the marker contains underscores _, they occur as blanks in an exported json-config.
  • if I reconfigure the backup via browser gui, both options are gone and have to be re-entered again and again.
  • If I start a backup where I configured the two options right before, I always get the following error:
    Remote protocol shows this:
    [
    {“Name”:“DuplicatiVolumeMarker0LCjqIqvSXnOfHBzC.txt”,“LastAccess”:“2020-02-09T00:20:56.0171144+01:00”,“LastModification”:“2020-02-09T00:20:56.0171144+01:00”,“Size”:5,“IsFolder”:false}
    ]

Additional info from system from the system protocol:
System.IO.IOException: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie bereits von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird.
bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
bei System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.RepairHandler.Run(IFilter filter)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.PreBackupVerify(BackendManager backend, String protectedfile)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.d__20.MoveNext()
— Ende der Stapelüberwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgelöst wurde —
bei System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
bei CoCoL.ChannelExtensions.WaitForTaskOrThrow(Task task)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.b__0(BackupResults result)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.RunAction[T](T result, String& paths, IFilter& filter, Action`1 method)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Controller.Backup(String inputsources, IFilter filter)
bei Duplicati.Server.Runner.Run(IRunnerData data, Boolean fromQueue)

Hello, welcome to the forum! I notice no one has responded to this thread yet.

Can you let us know which version of Duplicati you are using, and what operating system?

Hello, thanks for your reply, and sorry for not mentioning the obvious…
I’m using 2.0.5.1 in Windows 10 Version 1909 build 18363.657, whatever this means,… :slight_smile: And I should have mentioned that I altered my backup config after running the first few backups. Although, imho, that should’nt be a problem in this case…

I can reproduce this problem if the options are specified on step 2. If you instead specify them on page 5, they seem to stick. I agree this is a bug.

I was able to get --alternate-target-paths to work, but not if I also used --alternate-destination-marker. Even though the marker file was present, Duplicati would say it couldn’t find any alternate paths with the marker file.

Error -
Capture

But the marker is there in F:\Dup-Target:

So this looks like another bug. Looks like a different error than what you’re getting though.

I’m using --alternate-target-paths and --alternate-destination-marker for my backups and they work.
But what I now also found out that the parameters do not stick to the configuration when they are entered on the second page.
When entered on second page they are stored the first time, but as soon I change something in the configuration they are gone.
Only entered on the fifth page they are stored in the configuration and stay there.

This is how it looks at one of my backups:
–alternate-destination-marker=ajvbnrrzzhj.duplicati
–alternate-target-paths="*:\Duplicati\Dokumente"

Here the directory of my backup:

grafik

Yep, as I noted above the options DO stick around if you enter them on page 5. So I would do that instead.

When you enter them on page 2, it stores them as part of the backup target URI and they get stripped off the next time you edit the backup job. I agree this is a bug.

In your screenshot, it looks like the destination marker file has a double extension. For the DLIST files, the .zip extension is hidden, so it looks like Explorer is hiding known extensions. So I guess the real filename is Dup-Target.txt.txt, which indeed is not found if Duplicati is looking for Dup-Target.txt.

Hah! Good catch. I disable hiding extensions on my main machine but neglected to do it in this VM I rebuilt recently.