Note about Mono crash

This is not an issue with Duplicati, but it might be relevant to some here since it can affect Duplicati’s operation.

I am running Duplicati on a server because I want to centrally manage backups and maintain a local backup share that can’t be overwritten by something like a cryptovirus (clients don’t have write access to the backup share). This morning I was backing up a laptop that went to sleep during the backup, and suddenly the Duplicati server became inaccessible from my SSH tunnel - the server was just unresponsive.

Grep of syslog revealed this:

root@home:/var/log# more syslog | grep dupl
Jan 10 07:43:51 home duplicati-server[1600]: w32error-unix.c: unknown error (112) "Host is down"

followed by a boatload of lines, followed by:

Jan 10 07:43:52 home duplicati-server[1600]: mono_gdb_render_native_backtraces not supported on this platform, unable to find gdb or lldb
Jan 10 07:43:52 home duplicati-server[1600]: =================================================================
Jan 10 07:43:52 home duplicati-server[1600]: Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
Jan 10 07:43:52 home duplicati-server[1600]: a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
Jan 10 07:43:52 home duplicati-server[1600]: used by your application.
Jan 10 07:43:52 home duplicati-server[1600]: =================================================================
Jan 10 07:44:08 home systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Jan 10 07:44:08 home systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 10 07:44:08 home systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

I think I am encountering this issue.

I suppose I’ll set up a cron job that checks to see if duplicati is running and restarts it if not. I don’t expect this to happen often, but if mono breaks completely the moment a network share goes down, that’s not good for any services that depend on it.

It seems that it has been fixed, not sure what version of Mono includes the fix:

Yes - I’m on 5.4.1.6 from the repository on Ubuntu 16.04 and it doesn’t appear to have the fix. I don’t know when it will make it into the repositories so I thought it would be worth noting for people who don’t know how to build from source.

1 Like