New install cannot find existing backup

Look at any old duplicati.service files that you can find. Maybe you will find the User= Group= there.

If you think it was starting at boot before (still unclear), then this is just Linux systemd administration.

systemctl disable duplicati will keep it from starting at boot, or just uninstall duplicati package.

How to Manage Systemd Services on a Linux System

Use the systemctl enable command to have systemd automatically start a service (or other type of unit) at bootup. The systemctl disable command disables a services and stops it from starting automatically with your computer.

You can use:

Duplicati.Server.exe option

--server-datafolder
Duplicati needs to store a small database with all settings. Use this option to choose where the settings are stored. This option can also be set with the environment variable DUPLICATI_HOME .

This would be an example of something you could add to server start in DAEMON_OPTS as here,
if all backups (maybe just one?) go there, otherwise you might want each job DB on its destination.
The easiest way to do that is probably on the Database screen to alter the Local database path.

Yes, per the linked article or web search for arch linux. Manjaro from the article is based on Arch.

I’ve been doing that. Anyone who is a systemd expert, please join.

I think you can find the systemd file to edit both from the systemd.unit man page I cited, or

# systemctl status duplicati
● duplicati.service - Duplicati web-server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/duplicati.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

So if yours also says /etc/systemd/system/duplicati.service, then edit that file and add lines for User= and Group= similar to what "Installing Duplicati on Linux (Arch / Manajaro) had, but with your ids.
You can reboot, or use systemctl (systemctl stop duplicati then systemctl start duplicati).