Multiple smaller backups or 1 big backup

I don’t know that I’d call it dangerous in my case, but for you it might be. If you’re worried about a crypto attack some things you could consider include:

• in step 5 (Options) set “Keep this number of backups” to “Until they are older than” instead of a specific number. Yes, this will cost more in archive storage, but as long as you detect the issue within that time frame you’re “safe”
  • if using version 2.0.2.10 canary or newer consider looking at the new --retention-policy advanced option which can be used to lower your version density (“thin out”) as files get older. With that you can still keep files longer, but not take so much of a hit in storage costs
  • set up multiple backups with differing frequencies as sort of a manual “retention-policy” design. Your “every minute for 60 minutes” backup might get crypto locked, but your “every hour for 24 hours” or “every day for 30 days” backups would still be viable

Note that there is also a Drastic change alerts discussion recently started which includes ideas such as alerting users if more than X% of files have changed since the last backup (such as might happen in a crypto lock attack).