Move a backup via HD from one location to another?

I am setting up Duplicati for a friend to backup to a Minio store I am running. Most of the backup is (not very compressible) photos. I started this backup from hist location, but the transport is so slow that the initial backup is going to take forever.

Given my use of a S3-compatible backend, would it be possible to instead create a backup that writes to a local disk, take the disk to the server where the Minio backend runs and just copy it in place?

Yes, that’s possible. After the backup is completed, copy all Duplicati files to the new location and before the next scheduled backup starts, edit the backup job and point to the new location. When the next backup starts, Duplicati will find all expected files in the new backup location and will continue backing up to the new backend.

3 Likes

Depending on how comfortable you are with file browsing in S3 buckets you might want to use the Duplicati GUI destination test feature to create the folder into which the seeded files can then be placed.

Digging out an old post, but it looks like it confirms my needs.

I have done an initial backup from my PC to a second PC using Duplicati. That destination PC was just using a Windows File Share.

Now I am going to pull that hard disk out, scrap the PC, put the disk into a caddy, attach it to the back of a router.

So, if I understand this correctly, literally all I need to do is change ONE value in Duplicati and all will continue as before. Just change the \\pcname\share to \\router\newshare and all will be well.

Excellent. :slight_smile:

That should be all. If you run into trouble let us know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like simple.

I am hoping there won’t be too much of a speed difference \ time lost by swapping from a chunky old PC to a router. There will be a saving in power costs and desk space which is important in this case so I don’t mind it if it takes a bit longer.

Thanks.

(BTW - if an admin is reading this the “reply by email” option bounces back with errors. Complaining about “relaying denied”)

The router should be equally capable as a backed. It essentially only requires disk and network speed.

@kenkendk

1 Like

I thought @tophee had said Discourse didn’t support reply by email…

Or maybe that’s just me mis-remembering things again.

That’s because reply-by-email is not turned on. Did you get an email that said you could reply to it?

I don’t think I said that because discourse very much does support reply by email, but @kenkendk apparently has not activated it (yet?).

Yep - I recall now that I was thinking of marking a post as read if read in the email (which Discourse doesn’t have).

Haha - good point. There is nothing in the email. Blame the badges ( Duplicati ) I saw that and assumed it was setup like other Discourse Forums.

1 Like

“Badges? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges.” :slight_smile:

Aah, people are looking at the badges page! Excellent! Never mind @JonMikelV’s stance on badges. He does a huuuuge amount of work here and of course no badge can pay for that. :wink: But for ordinary users, badges may well be a motivating factor :slight_smile:

But I think you have a point that perhaps discourse should hide email related badges when email is not activated. Will raise it on meta.discourse.org.

No, my mistake wasn’t the attempt to gain a badge. Just the badge implied the feature was enabled. And I fancied being lazy.

1 Like

Yeah, my bad. I have the how-to-setup-email-reply open in a tab but never finished it :blush:

Ok, I have now enabled reply-by-email, send me a PM if it does not work.

1 Like