Migrating to Windows Service Installation

So i started with a standard install of Duplicati on a Windows machine, and then decided i wanted to run it as a service instead. So i did the “Duplicati.WindowService.exe install” and made the tray icon “Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe --no-hosted-server”. Opened Duplicati and previous completed backup wasn’t there. So i imported the backup from a saved Config file. Is this the correct process or do i need to do something else with the Database? I decided to start another Backup and now its showing “Verifying Backup Data” in the status bar …

It since came back with files missing message so am now doing a Database Repair and the current status is “Recreating Database”

This is caused by a different location of the user profile folder. When installing Duplicati, it will use %appdata%\Duplicati to store program settings and local databases.
If you install Duplicati as a service and start the service with the same user account, it will detect and use the existing backups and settings.
Probably you start the service with the SYSTEM account. In that case, you have to copy the contents of C:\Users\<YourName>\Appdata\Roaming\Duplicati to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Duplicati.

1 Like

Yes I think you’re right but I ended up with the same outcome after the DB repair also… Thanks !

1 Like

I run the Service under my own user account (that has Admin rights)…so there was no need to copy files…

1 Like

Under edit config Destination click Test Connection

Copy Duplicati-server.sqlite to system profile roaming folder

A post was split to a new topic: Windows service not starting - “Service didn’t answer in time” message

In my case, it looks like the database was not located in the %APPDATA%\Duplicati folder (i.e., AppData\Roaming), but rather in the AppData\Local folder. In any case, I opted for the Repair database option before I saw this thread, and that seems to work fine.

Welcome to the forum @mrtumnus

2.0.1.68_canary_2017-06-28 moved it, but few would have known until 2.0.2.1_beta_2017-08-01

Switched to %LOCALAPPDATA% for storing data on Windows

Thanks for the background. It looks like the ‘official’ guide here has both locations mentioned: