Is 7z safe to use yet?

It has a number of issues. We need to rewrite the 7z module to use the latest LZMA2 code, but no one has prioritized doing so.

In our tests we found that 7z gives a minor space saving (~10%) but takes much longer to compress. With the latest canary release, Duplicati is able to run multiple zip compressions in parallel, giving many of the benefits from 7z.

The multi-threading for LZMA2 is actually the main problem with the 7z module. It works with very large buffers, making it hard to know in advance when the buffer is filled, causing Duplicati to be cautious and ending up creating many small volumes.

AFAIK, gz and bz2 are just compression algorithms, they do not have a file format, relying often on tar. You can get some of the same by choosing another compression algorithm for the zip module (--zip-compression-method=bzip2).

The tar file format is a mess with multiple vendor extensions and guessing to figure out which version.

Yes, multi-threading is still being tested to make sure it does not trip up.

Yes! I had some pressing work so I had to leave Duplicati behind for a while. I have fixed the performance issues today, and hope to get a new canary out very soon.

The beta will be updated once we are confident that the canary changes do not cause issues.

4 Likes