Installed WindowsService, decided I didn't like it, tried to go back to Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe, now crashes on startup

At what point (and how) was 2.0.4.5 installed or updated to? Your TrayIcon install acts like it’s on 2.0.3.3 beta or similar vintage, therefore won’t try to do the 2.0.4.5 database format (formats change with time). Maybe it’s just looking in the wrong place. For example, if you updated as SYSTEM, the update might be in the SYSTEM profile. Basically it might be the %LOCALAPPDATA% version of %MY_DOCUMENTS% move for a user move. While I’m not sure updates would go there, I’m pretty sure that any new job databases done as service would.

Migrating from User to Service install on Windows says some places updates live. To view the SYSTEM profile without permanently opening up access, start a Command Prompt with “Run as administrator” and check out C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Duplicati
to see if you can find an updates folder with 2.0.4.5, or databases such as Duplicati-server.sqlite and others.

Downgrading / reverting to a lower version talks about downgrades. Probably best to get back 2.0.4.5 though, assuming you can figure out which updates folder it went into – and the article mentions some possible spots.

Probably just a combination of version mismatches (does Duplicati About → General actually say 2.0.4.5?), and possibly things in the wrong place. The TrayIcon errors are good. It found databases to complain about. Should it turn out to be too hard to work out where the 2.0.4.5 update went, you can always install from .msi. Databases + the right Duplicati version to handle them (in this case, 2.0.4.5 for version 6 ones) should work.

1 Like