Install as Windows service

I want to install duplicati as windows service with Windows 10 2004.
I have try to copy the appdata to the system appdata and try the command with admin priv.:
“C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Service.exe” install
The command promt write:
Starting process C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.Server.exe with cmd args “–ping-pong-keepalive=true” install
and hang at this output.
The Task-Manager show 2x Duplicati.service.exe and 1x duplicati.server.exe.

Deinstall and reinstall the latest version doesn’t resolve this.

Welcome to the forum @Teemoe

Duplicati.WindowsService.exe is the program you want. Name is similar. Function is very different.

Migrating from User to Service install on Windows is a How-To about what you’ve been trying to do.

Install Duplicati as a service is a video tutorial on that process.

There are variations possible, and one I strongly suggest is to not use system appdata for Duplicati.
Windows version updates wipe it out. Your databases go to Windows.old but only last for 10 days…

facepalm

Ah… good to know. So i installed the service and changed the service user to a “sys_backup” user account. Thank you!

I was struggling with windows service type installation since default option is to run Duplicati in user mode which means no VSS capability during backup.

Made some scripts to automate windows service install - check here GitHub - schtritoff/duplicati-install-windows-service. Would be better to have something like this supported in default Duplicati Windows MSI installer, for example as a switch…

2 Likes