Hyper-V-machine-backup not running on Windows Server 2016

I am running the latest beta of duplicati in Windows Server 2016 standard.

The Hyper-V-VMs are recognized by Duplicati when creating a backup job, Visual C++ 2015 is installed, the AlphaVSS -files are in a duplicati-subfolder, dupicati runs as a service on admin-account, I tried both “usn policy” and “snapshot-policy” with on/off/auto/force, but backups are not started.

At first start, the following error appears:

Fatal error
Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssUnexpectedProviderErrorException: The provider returned an unexpected error code.
bei Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.AddToSnapshotSet(String volumeName)
bei Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.WindowsSnapshot…ctor(String sourcepaths, Dictionary2 options) bei Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.SnapshotUtility.CreateWindowsSnapshot(String[] folders, Dictionary2 options)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.GetSnapshot(String sources, Options options, ILogWriter log)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String sources, IFilter filter)

At second try, there is always:

Fatal error
Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssSnapshotSetInProgressException: The creation of a shadow copy is already in progress.
bei Alphaleonis.Win32.Vss.VssBackupComponents.StartSnapshotSet()
bei Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.WindowsSnapshot…ctor(String sourcepaths, Dictionary2 options) bei Duplicati.Library.Snapshots.SnapshotUtility.CreateWindowsSnapshot(String[] folders, Dictionary2 options)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.GetSnapshot(String sources, Options options, ILogWriter log)
bei Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler.Run(String sources, IFilter filter)

Any help is apreciated.

Try running the service as a local system account. I’ve had weird issues in the past when I ran the service under a specific username.

Tried that first. Did not work either.

Did you get duplicati to backup your VMs? Does it run reliable?

Yes it does although it’s not as efficient as I wanted it to be. I ended up running Duplicati within the VMs themselves. And just secured the data that I needed within the VMs themselves. Have you checked whether you have a stale snapshot using the vssadmin command?

Backing up the things inside a VM is no option for me, as I want to keep the advantages VMs give to me, e.g. easy and fast backup an restore of a whole system.

What do you mean by having a stale snapshot using the vssadmin command? Snapshots/backups of VMs are not made by duplicati, Windows Server backup of VMs with VSS runs without probs.

You won’t get fast backups of virtual machines if your disks are dynamically allocated. Basically you’ll be backing up the most of the VM every time. Is there anything else in the Windows Event logs that could point you to a particular problem. I suggested deleting snapshots using the vssadmin command because it actually looks like a shadow is created by Duplicati.