I’ve been using Duplicati for encrypted backups to Google Drive for the past year and a half. I’m using Linux Mint 18.3 Mate. My old computer recently died, and I’ve lost the data on the hard drive. I need to restore the Google Drive Duplicati backup data.
I’ve got a new computer, installed Duplicati on it (2.0, with the gdebi package), retrieved my Duplicati passphrase from LastPass. But when I try to do a restore, I keep getting oauth errors. Specifically, running a test on the connection gets me:
Failed to connect: The server certificate had the error RemoteCertificateChainErrors and the hash 063E9F1596F01613C09E009A9AD2ED80278BFDCB If you trust this certificate, use the commandline option --accept-specified-ssl-hash=063E9F1596F01613C09E009A9AD2ED80278BFDCB to accept the server certificate anyway. You can also attempt to import the server certificate into your operating systems trust pool. You may want to import a set of trusted certificates into the Mono certificate store. Use the command: cert-sync /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt #for Debian based systems cert-sync /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt #for RedHat derivatives Read more: Release Notes Mono 3.12.0 | Mono
Choosing the accept-specified-ssl… or accept-any-ssl options does not solve the problem. When I go ahead with the restore operation I get:
Failed to connect: Failed to authorize using the OAuth service: GetResponse timed out. If the problem persists, try generating a new authid token from: Duplicati OAuth Handler
Generating a new authid doesn’t solve the problem either. There appears to be nothing wrong with my Google account per se; I can see the backup files there on Google Drive with my browser, but Duplicati can’t get at them.
Did you try the sync /etc/ssl/certs-ca-certificateds.crt (or applicable) command?
If the SSL certificates on your new box are out of date (not uncommon with mono) then the underlying SSL handshaking won’t be approved so the SSL specific parameters you tried will never get a chance to kick in.
Federico Poloni suggested that my removal of Mono might be the problem. I fixed the spelling problem, reinstalled Mono, reinstalled Duplicati (just in case), synced the ssl certificates list again, ran a test on the connection, and got the same error message. I proceeded to run the backup again, with ‘accept any ssl certificate’ option, and got the same oauth failure.
I’m a little confused, I don’t see any mention of removing mono or a spelling problem in your previous post.
You mentioned trying to run the backup again, but I thought you were trying to do a restore - did you try using the main menu Restore item with “Direct restore from backup files …” (which means you don’t need to create a backup job if all you want to do is a restore)?
Focusing specifically on your restore needs, I’m not sure if there’s an “oauth log” that @kenkendk can look at that might give us more detail.
Alternatively, if you’re goal is to restore pretty much everything from your backup, then if you have the space you could pull the Duplicati files from your Google Drive to a local drive and do the restore from there.
Again IF you’re going to restore “everything” then (assuming the oath issue is resolved) Duplicati would just be downloading *most of those files from Google Drive anyway. (*most fits if you have few versions of files, but if you have a LOT of versions or are only planning to restore a few files then Duplicati would only download the archive files it needs for those versions / files.)
I’m not sure if this is related to the oauth problem but I keep getting security alert messages from Google saying a new Linux device has signed in to my account and asking for confirmation that it’s me. I do the confirmation every time, but oauth still fails.
Yes and no. There is a log for the Duplicati side of the OAuth handshake, but it just reveals if the client request actually made it to the server or not. Any error messages should also be reported to the client and displayed locally.
Those who reported errors before, did make a successful request, but then the request failed later when contacting Google’s servers, and I have no logs for that.
For this problem, it clearly states that it is a certificate error, so that would need to be fixed before the request goes through.
But it seems that the OP has solved the problem somehow.
That’s likely just a normal Google thing - especially if you have a frequently changing IP address.
Glad to hear the “manual” restore worked, good luck with the new backup! Note that if it’s possible to keep having your existing destination you can back up your new computer to it and it should find most of the files you restored from the destination as already backed up (even if the paths have changed). This means your new-machine backup wouldn’t have to re-upload everything.
I have not found a solution to the oauth failure problem. I needed to do a restore, and at JonMikeIV’s suggestion, I was able to do so by manually downloading all the backup files from Google Drive onto my hard drive and then doing the restore locally. But now I want to back up my new machine, and I can’t get through to my Google Drive space with Duplicati.
Oh sorry, I misunderstood you then. Suppose it’s a Linux or Mono thing.
I have just set up a few Duplicity test folders to Drive with GPG. So far it was pretty easy to do even though I’m no expert. Going to practice first before switching to it. I just don’t like it that I can’t make any online backups, makes me nervous.
The --accept-specified-ssl-hash I tried before, and tried it again just to be sure, and it didn’t solve the problem. I then installed ca-certificates-mono and ran cert-sync, and tried Duplicati again. This time I got a ‘GetResponse timed out’ error.