Headless upgrade to canary failed - Cannot find the specified file

Hi,

I was looking to upgrade my headless setup to canary, but failed.

I used this doc > Headless installation on Debian or Ubuntu · duplicati/duplicati Wiki · GitHub.

1. rm -rf /usr/lib/duplicati/*
  2. wget http://canary-version.zip
  3. unzip
  4. start

Startup failed with:

root@nas-24-A9-04:/usr/lib/duplicati# /usr/bin/duplicati-server --webservice-port=8200 --webservice-interface=any

Unhandled Exception:
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: ApplicationName=’/usr/lib/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe’, CommandLine=’ --webservice-port=8200 --webservice-interface=any’, CurrentDirectory=’’, Native error= Cannot find the specified file
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_noshell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) [0x00000] in :0
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecentSpawn (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] cmdargs, AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy) [0x00000] in :0
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecent (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] cmdargs, AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy) [0x00000] in :0
at Duplicati.Server.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in :0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: ApplicationName=’/usr/lib/duplicati/Duplicati.Server.exe’, CommandLine=’ --webservice-port=8200 --webservice-interface=any’, CurrentDirectory=’’, Native error= Cannot find the specified file
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_noshell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) [0x00000] in :0
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecentSpawn (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] cmdargs, AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy) [0x00000] in :0
at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecent (System.Reflection.MethodInfo method, System.String[] cmdargs, AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy) [0x00000] in :0
at Duplicati.Server.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in :0

After attempts with several canary versions, the lastest working one is 2.0.2.10_canary_2017-10-11, and the issue start with 2.0.2.11_canary_2017-10-20.

Running on Readynas OS6, based on Debian 8.

Search on this issue was not successful yet.
Any advices ?

Rgds,

I’m not positive about this on Linux, but on Windows don’t need to remove the old version - you can just install over it. Have you tried that?

I tried both (without removing previous version, and with cleaning everything) if I’m right, will redo to confirm.

Very odd. I may have to back off and hope that somebody else with more Linux experience, such as @Pectojin, might have some input.

It looks like it’s some kind of issue locating the actual server executable, so first steps are to ensure the files are actually there.

Over at the Sonarr community they had a similar error, which they could resolved by starting the process with a bash script that set some mono specific path variables. I’m not sure how that would apply here, but it looks relevant from the stack trace Not able to update - Help & Support - sonarr :: forums

Well, I tried to unzip 2.0.2.11 on top of the working 2.0.2.10, but still doesn’t start.

I also updated the startup script with:

#!/bin/bash
INSTALLDIR=/usr/lib/duplicati
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${INSTALLDIR}${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
export MONO_PATH=$MONO_PATH:${INSTALLDIR}

export PATH=$INSTALLDIR:$PATH
cd $INSTALLDIR

EXE_FILE=${INSTALLDIR}/Duplicati.Server.exe
APP_NAME=DuplicatiServer

exec -a “$APP_NAME” mono “$EXE_FILE” “$@”

But still no success.

I have pretty good knowledge on Linux, but none in mono :sweat_smile:

Running Duplicati on startup on Freenas / FreeBSD

Well, I had a doubt with the custom Debian setup due to Netgear ReadyNAS repo.

I need further tests before to confirm, but seems that some mono packages dependencies are not met. I do not know yet if it’s Debian or Netgear repo that are in cause.

Using the mono project repo seems to solve.

To follow.

After several tests, I confirm.

Latest Canary doesn’t work with default mono-devel suite on Debian 8.10.
I had to switch to mono project repository:

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF
apt-get install apt-transport-https
echo "deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian stable-jessie main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official-stable.list
apt-get update; apt-get -y upgrade; apt-get -y dist-upgrade; apt-get autoremove; apt-get install mono-devel

For whatever reason, the autoremove remove mono-devel after the upgrade, so need to be reinstall it.

Debian 9.4.0 mono-devel version is fine out of the box.

Glad to hear you got it working, and thanks for sharing what did the trick for you!

Should we flag you previous post as the solution?

Sounds like :grinning: