Hash and size differs on dblock

From what I can tell it is kernels at 5.9 or 5.10 where the patch changes the signalling and as Leap 15.3+ will follow SLES15 it may be a long time for the patch to come through without a bit of backporting. It also seems the backup process may be a smidgeon faster with the NAS mounted NFS.

My attempt to figure out which cifs bug was relevant was the last thing in the forum post, specifically here.
Revisiting a bit (Iā€™m not up for a deeper dive), Iā€™m thinking the bug I had my eye on is patched in Leap 15.1.

openSUSE alert openSUSE-SU-2021:0075-1 (kernel)
openSUSE alert openSUSE-SU-2021:0060-1 (kernel)

cifs: allow syscalls to be restarted in __smb_send_rqst() (bsc#1176956).

so maybe it was a different CIFS problem that got you.

and I have no idea if that means Leap might get more conservative in what patches the kernel has in itā€¦

I saw your post referring to
Linux 5.10-rc7 shows it going into Linusā€™ kernel candidate Dec 6, 2020.
Linux 5.9.14 shows it going into that kernel.org kernel on Dec 11, 2020.

My Leap 15.2 kernel is 5.3.18-lp152.75-default

Also discussion here; restic fails on repo mounted via CIFS/samba on Linux using go 1.14 build Ā· Issue #2659 Ā· restic/restic Ā· GitHub

Those are not the kernels that Leap uses. The kernels of most distros, and especially Enterprise and LTE, are patched beyond initial starting version. SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 looks like 5.3.18 plus some patches.

Maintaining Enterprise Linux Kernels (SUSE)
What is backporting, and how does it apply to RHEL and other Red Hat products?

It is sometimes difficult to tell exactly what fixes have been backported, although I gave two links giving info.
For testing purposes, e.g. to see if was in fact fixed, itā€™s less guessing to use a kernel of high enough base.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed keeps quite current. https://www.kernel.org/ shows 5.12.9 released 2021-06-03, and Tumbleweed has it as of 6/6 or sooner, but itā€™s a rolling release, so it takes these very untested builds. SLE doesnā€™t. They backport patches, as the goal is stability, not to be having users on latest of everything.

Security update for the Linux Kernel is for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP5 and shows the patch Iā€™d been chasing. SUSE Linux Enterprise Live Patching is a feature that even patches kernels while running.

Backports and long-term stable kernels discusses the tradeoffs one sees when backporting kernel fixes.
The SUSE article describes how you can try to get a backport if you can isolate issue well to ask for a fix.
As some articles note, some problems arenā€™t easily patched, so you ā€œmightā€ need to wait for a new base.