Finding my way around the codebase

Just a shot in the dark here, but i’m assuming \n is just a newline and that the UI is ignoring it in that context. That would also explain why it displays as if it’s missing a period - because it was intended to be 2 sentence fragments on separate lines, instead of a small paragraph with punctuation.

No, just the .pot file should be changed, the translated .po files will be pulled by a script (pull_from_transifex.sh) from transifex

Yes, normally a \n is a newline which is why I’m confused as to why it’s not being treated that way.

I’m so glad to hear that - 'cause my test of updating every instance resulting in a working tray icon but a dead web interface. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well when I said

and that the UI is ignoring it in that context.

I was attempting to propose (guess at) an answer - some text renderers (depending on the UI and usage) simply ignore newlines, stripping out all extra whitespace etc. Sometimes you just need to accept and move along, in my experience :stuck_out_tongue:

The \n is not displayed in HTML, it needs to be a <br /> . The library angular-gettext is used to translated stuff, so I am not sure if the best approach is to inject some \n to <br /> automatically or if the better solution is just to change the string.

That was my working theory that I was going to test as soon as I got this darn period to show up where I want it! :grin:

OK - I managed to break my installation somehow. The initial build (no local updates) I did worked fine, but every build after that has compiled and Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe executed but I just end up with a “red-X” icon in the tray, a blank “waiting for localhost…” browser window at http://localhost:8200/index.html, and a log saying:

2017-09-14 21:57:54Z - Information: Server has started and is listening on 127.0.0.1, port 8200
2017-09-14 21:57:54Z - Information: Server has started and is listening on 127.0.0.1, port 8200

Any hints on how to go about debugging this situation?

The tray-icon also connects to the server, so unless you have a breakpoint in the code, the browser should load as well.

Could it be a firewall or a browser plugin/security that prevents it?

There shouldn’t be - my regular installs (tested both user and service) work fine. When the log says “service listening at port xxxx” I assume that is a record of the service starting and not just where the client is listening, correct?

It’s possible the service starts then dies leaving the browser window hanging - that would explain the “red-x” tray icon, right?

When I get back to it I’ll try to verify by checking the task list, event log, and port usage - if I can remember the command. :slight_smile:

Nope. The tray-icon should go away if the process dies. And the tray-icon crashes if the server does.

Thanks, port checking here I come!

Sorry for all this “on-boarding” overhead, I’m hoping to eventually be able to help out with minor fixes and hand-holding of other wanna-be developers so you can focus on the big stuff. :grin:

Success! Of sorts - by changing the .pot AND backupEditUri.js files I got the period to show in English, but in testing other languages the text I touched now ALWAYS comes up English and (as expected) updating the individual .po files doesn’t fix it.

Is the pull_from_transifex.sh script something I run (and if so, how do I do it) or does that happen somewhere else in the flow?

IIRC, you need to run the compile_all.sh script to build the .po files. @agrajaghh set it up, so he can correct me :slight_smile:.

1 Like

yep, there are four scripts:

• extract_all.sh is creating the localization.pot and localization_webroot.pot files by searching all the strings in the code
  • push_source_files_to_transifex.sh is uploading the .pot files to transifex, so the translators are seeing new/changed strings
  • pull_from_transifex.sh is downloading the translated strings (.po files) from transifex
  • compile_all.sh is compiling the localization-xx.po files into .mo files which are used on runtime for the cli texts and the localization_webroot-xx.po files into angular-gettext-cli_compiled_js_output.js which is used by the webinterface

Thanks for the script summary!

1. These appear to be bash shell scripts so I assume I need to run them in a Linux / Unix / BSD environment - will they work in Cygwin or the Windows 10 Linux Subsystem (How to Install and Use the Linux Bash Shell on Windows 10)?
  2. Am I correct in assuming that running these is a manual step and not part of the VS Solution build?

And thanks yet-again for all the hand-holding here.

1. Yes, they are *nix only. The subsystem should actually work.
    Alternatively, maybe look inside and see if you can replicate what they do on Windows.

2. Yes, we (that is mostly @agrajaghh) run them once in a while to sync with transifex.

I’m running them with the bash that comes with git on windows

Well apparently I’m a sadist so finally after one long and annoying Windows 10 update I got the subsystem installed, tried running ./extract_all.sh and…

me@mymachine: ./extract_all.sh
./duplicati/extract.sh: line 14: xgettext: command not found
./webroot/extract.sh: line 6: angular-gettext-cli: command not found

Sigh. I expect it’ll run just fine on one of my Linux VMs.

It’s not that I want to take over translation processing or anything - I just want to “fully” test my single period change. :crazy_face:

I’m waiting for the first post about installing the .deb package or using Linux paths on Windows… :hushed:

For those that might still want to play around with it…

The Windows 10 'bash' installation text

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
© 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\me>bash
– Beta feature –
This will install Ubuntu on Windows, distributed by Canonical
and licensed under its terms available here:
Licensing | About Ubuntu | Ubuntu

Type “y” to continue: y
Downloading from the Windows Store… 100%
Extracting filesystem, this will take a few minutes…
Please create a default UNIX user account. The username does not need to match your Windows username.
For more information visit: Linux User Account and Permissions | Microsoft Docs
Enter new UNIX username: me
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Installation successful!
The environment will start momentarily…
Documentation is available at: https://aka.ms/wsldocs
To run a command as administrator (user “root”), use "sudo ".
See “man sudo_root” for details.

me@myPC:/mnt/c/Users/me$

I remember something about being able to apt-get install xgettext from the Windows subsystem?

I’m using these windows binaries:

plus node.js with this:

not sure if you can run them from the windows subsystem? Otherwise Ken’s probposal sounds good…