Feature-Request: Start backup only if some host is available

It does, but not the way I’d prefer. It’s thrown off by things like “Destination host unreachable” responses.

Destination host unreachable, but the errorlevel is 0 (from a win7) [closed] links to Ping Errorlevel script.

Or if you trust my shaky Command Prompt skills, a one-liner demo similar to the original might be to do:

ping -n 1 hostname | find “Reply” > NUL || exit 1

I think the “Destination host unreachable” oddity is relevant to hosts on local network. Is that your case?
If so, maybe look-for-an-actual-Reply fix will help. If not, then I’m not sure exactly what the situation is…

I don’t think there’s normally a guarantee of the Windows drive letter the USB stick will receive, but see
Windows Drive Letters which describes the Local folder or drive options alternate-target-paths to handle the potentially changing drive letter, and alternate-destination-marker for your “certain file”.

It’s not an automatic start, has no friendly GUI, but is a start. Look for related forum topics for more info.

This is all limited by lack of new developers to add things… Volunteers are also encouraged in all areas.