FailedToUseChangeJournal

Hello,

I try to use usn-policy = Auto to backup from NTFS-Volumes. Now i get an error “[Information-Duplicati.Library.Main.Operation.BackupHandler-FailedToUseChangeJournal]: Failed to use change journal for volume Zugriff verweigert” (German Version; “Zugriff verweigert” means “Access denied”).

I think that this is not a Problem of duplicati but a problem with rights. Maybe somebody knows witch right to set.

Thanks

Duplicati slowing down my pc

Hello @cilgo, welcome to the forum!

What version of Duplicati and Windows are you running, and how (service or user / tray-icon)?

Hi,

I run Win 10 (17763,194, latest stable(?) Version. Duplicati is running by user.

Thanks for the details - “latest stable” probably means 2.0.4.5 beta.

I’ve not used USN myself, did it work for you on the past or is this the first time you’re using it?

Latest stable Windows Version :wink: 1809…

I run Duplicati - 2.0.4.8_canary_2018-12-13. I try to use USN since 2.0.4.5. It did not work at all till now. The problem has been from the first time of using USN. I don’t think that it is a matter of duplicati. I think duplicati has not enough / the correct rights to use USN.
Maybe somobody can tell more who is using USN and where it works.
thanks

General web search for non-Duplicati USN change journal use (such as fsutil usn readJournal) says it needs Administrator privileges, and if Duplicati is subject to the same controls, this means either install as a Windows service, or run Duplicati as a user in the Administrators group. If you run with the automatic start-at-logon tray icon option, the shortcut lives in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp and you would Right-click --> Shortcut --> Advanced --> Run as Administrator. Because it’s a shared setting, any users who are not Administrators might get asked at login to enter a password for an Administrator user.

Not ideal, but perhaps you or someone else can figure out if this is necessary, and if there’s a better setup…

If you take the Windows service route, which requires manual work, life for this (and snapshot-policy) is easy:

Migrating from User to Service install on Windows

Duplicati.WindowsService.exe

Installing Duplicati on Windows

Useing a RamDisk for the asynchronous-upload-folder

Thank you very much! To run as Administrator was the solution.

If somebody wants to know: backups with 53000 files (portable apps) ran without USN 4 to 5 minutes. Now with USN about 2 minutes. Really great!

Pictures (and some Videos) with 60000 files shrinked from 15 to 17 minutes to 10 minutes.

Again, thanks for help / support.