Failed to connect. The remote server returned an error: (405) Method not allowed

Looking for a little help troubleshooting this error. Trying to backup to WebDav destination hosted on Win10. Browser connection works, but when trying to backup from remote client using Duplicati 2.0 I get this error. Can’t find useful information about which method and how to correct it. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

You forgot to include the information about the error…

0 Likes

It’s the subject line: Failed to connect. The remote server returned an error: (405) Method not allowed

1 Like

That indicates that the server rejects the PROPFIND request, meaning that Webdav is not enabled on the folder you are attempting to use.

0 Likes

Failed to connect: No such file

Thank you. Two follow ups:

How could I have discovered that for myself? (Teach a man to fish…)

I can reach the folder via https in a browser, after entering credentials. Doesn’t that confirm the folder is properly shared via webDAV?

0 Likes

Good question. I guess you would need to read the WebDAV specs to figure out how it works in order to guess that. But we could catch a 405 and return a better error message, like: It does not appear that the server is configured for WebDAV.

No, because the browser issues a GET request which is standard with webservers. WebDAV needs to perform a PROPFIND request, which is not standard with webservers.

0 Likes

I confirmed the PROPFIND failure with Fiddler4. Now if I can just figure out the trick to get IIS configured properly…

0 Likes

Did you ever get this to work? If so, it might make for a nice #howto entry. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

No, I haven’t had time to come back to this yet. It’s on my to do once life settles down a bit.

0 Likes

Ahh, the “after-life-settles-down” list…I understand. Good luck!

0 Likes