Exception: Failed to create, open or upgrade the database

When rebooting after the latest Windows Update, Duplicati did not launch. When attempting to launch manually, the following error was observed:

System.Exception
  HResult=0x80131500
  Message=A serious error occurred in Duplicati: System.Exception: Failed to create, open or upgrade the database.
Error message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.
   at Duplicati.Server.Program.GetDatabaseConnection(Dictionary`2 commandlineOptions)
   at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain(String[] _args)
  Source=Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon
  StackTrace:
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HostedInstanceKeeper..ctor(String[] args)
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.RealMain(String[] _args)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod(MethodInfo method, String[] args)
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<RunFromMostRecentSpawn>b__0()
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.WrapWithUpdater(AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy, Action wrappedFunction)
   at Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunFromMostRecentSpawn(MethodInfo method, String[] cmdargs, AutoUpdateStrategy defaultstrategy)
   at Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.Main(String[] args)

This exception was originally thrown at this call stack:
    [External Code]

Inner Exception 1:
Exception: Failed to create, open or upgrade the database.
Error message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.

Reinstalling Duplicati did not resolve the issue.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Duplicati from the website did not resolve the issue.

Other support threads suggest that the database version is not compatible with the version of Duplicati I installed, but this does not make sense for two reasons:

1. I used the very latest Windows version off of the website, for which there should be no newer or higher-versioned version of the database, and
  2. The error message Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found. strongly suggests a dependency that is missing

Suggestions?

Probably hit a search engine to see how to fix .NET Framework. Yours seems to have stopped working.
Idea initially from a Google search for that troublesome file in the error message. My system has these:

Are you pretty fast at installing and rebooting? The last .NET Framework update looks like it was August, which makes it stranger that things would break in September. As for DB, I don’t think it got connected…

I see people on the Internet suggesting various things, some of which sound overly past-the usual to me.

Download .NET Framework is maybe safe. Maybe sfc /scannow or something similar would be safe too.