Duplicati won't start after mono upgrade

Hi,

This evening I’ve just upgraded mono (from 5.18.1.3 to 5.20.1.19 on Debian), and Duplicati will no longer start:

Apr 16 20:57:52 xcp-dl systemd[1]: Started Duplicati web-server.
Apr 16 20:57:52 xcp-dl duplicati-server[1057]: unable to write ‘random state’
Apr 16 20:57:56 xcp-dl duplicati-server[1057]: A serious error occurred in Duplicati: System.PlatformNotSupportedException: Operation is not supported on this platform.
Apr 16 20:57:56 xcp-dl duplicati-server[1057]: at Duplicati.Server.Database.ServerSettings.get_ServerSSLCertificate () [0x00115] in :0
Apr 16 20:57:56 xcp-dl duplicati-server[1057]: at Duplicati.Server.WebServer.Server…ctor (System.Collections.Generic.IDictionary`2[TKey,TValue] options) [0x0029d] in :0
Apr 16 20:57:56 xcp-dl duplicati-server[1057]: at Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain (System.String _args) [0x00674] in :0
Apr 16 20:57:56 xcp-dl systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=100/n/a
Apr 16 20:57:56 xcp-dl systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Unit entered failed state.
Apr 16 20:57:56 xcp-dl systemd[1]: duplicati.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

Currently running Duplicati - 2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28

I’ve downgraded again, and it’s working.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy

Isn’t it better to use docker to run Duplicati?

Hi,

It may well be, but the container would still need to have Mono in it, and hence wouldn’t run if the version of Mono is upgraded to the latest as per my original post.

Unless I’m missing something?

Andy

Mono and all other requirements would be part of the docker container. You’d update the container as a whole unit by downloading an updated version of the container. Mono would no longer be required on the host (for containerized Duplicati).

That being said I’m running a rolling release of Debian testing. (I don’t use docker to run Duplicati.) I’m still on whatever mono version is part of the official debian repo… 5.18.0.240.

Are you on Debian unstable, or are you updating Mono independently from the debian repository?

Hi,

I’m using the Debian repository provided by the Mono team.

Andy

You might try switching to just the standard Debian repository.

I would go for the docker solution with docker-compose, it makes life so much easier.
duplicati/duplicati or linuxserver/duplicati

With this upgrade is as easy as
docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d

Sounds like it may well be worth looking into this. How often is the docker image updated with things like mono security fixes and the like?

I’m not particularly up to speed with docker, although I have a basic understanding of it. Is there a document somewhere describing how to get duplicati set up using docker compose?

Thanks

Andy