Duplicati vs. CrashPlan Home

Personally, all I “need” is sharing of Source settings across multiple backup sets on a single client. Everything else makes sense to me to vary by destination / outgoing IP.

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Benchmarking different storage providers

I agree this is a missing feature. At least the ability to “link” or “clone” backup sets would be cool in the future. If you have specific folders or other complex backup rules, it can be a pain to recreate the job. Especially hard to remember if you are making changes later.

When i need to configure the same backup source to multiple destinations, i simple export the backup configuration and import it again, changing the “Backup Name” and “destination” to new ones.

1 Like

I am someone moving from crashplan. Duplicati seems great; i am still testing it.

I am missing “Backup only when host is reachable; retry backup that was missed due to connection issues” It is supported by crashplan, but not by duplicati. I do not know how this feature is called, but I described it here: Backup only when host is reachable; retry backup that was missed due to connection issues

1 Like

Would it be within the scope of your list to have a line for (i.e.) “will still work after October, 2018”? :laughing:
(FWIW, my CP will run out this october since I was a monthly payer, so glad i’ve found Duplicati and B2)

2 Likes

I guess it depends on what you mean by “work”. :smiley:

Maybe you and DennissDD can put your heads together for some scripts like what he described here (at least until official support gets added).

Daer Aragron,

You install mono on your RPI, or using Docker ?

Alex

Hi alexkwan

I installed mono on raspberry pi using packages from raspbian

Regards!

HI Aragon !

I see. I am planning to build a rpi docker image for duplicati few days later. I tried to install keypass in RPI (which needs mono) which messed up my system.

Alex

I would tend to agree with tophee that this is “star”, not quite baked but usable. As a new user I can’t add it to the list or I would, but I understand it’s a wiki now.

Regarding

x Positive notifications (email if backups NOT run in a while)

There are now at least two ways to achieve this:

• https://www.duplicati-monitoring.com/ is a monitoring service that collects Duplicati’s backup reports, provides a nice dashboard and sends daily report e-mails. It is a service provided for free, nothing you need to install yourself. (Disclaimer: this service is developed by me).
  • dupReport is a similar solution written by @handyguy in Python. This is a self-hosted open-source solution.

So @JonMikelV, maybe you could add some note to the comparison saying that there are solutions for Duplicati.

1 Like