Duplicati doesn't start, doesn't update

Hi everyone,

until a couple of months ago my Duplicati installation (Windows 10 64bit, targets are mostly HiDrive-based) was running fine, with only occasional hiccups. But for several weeks now Duplicati doesn’t even start anymore. If I start it manually (as Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe), it might run (or not), survive a reboot (or not), and doesn’t update properly (I can download an update, but instead of allowing me to activate it, I get the “New update found” message again).

To start somewhere, here’s the latest crashlog (C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates\Duplicati-crashlog.txt):

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Ein Aufrufziel hat einen Ausnahmefehler verursacht. ---> System.Exception: Ein schwerwiegender Fehler trat in Duplicati auf: System.Exception: Unable to start up, perhaps another process is already running?
Error message: System.ArgumentException: Illegales Zeichen im Pfad.
   bei System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
   bei System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
   bei System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path)
   bei Duplicati.Library.Common.IO.SystemIOWindows.GetFiles(String path)
   bei Duplicati.Server.SingleInstance..ctor(String basefolder)
   bei Duplicati.Server.Program.CreateApplicationInstance(Boolean writeConsole)
   bei Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain(String[] _args) ---> System.Exception: Unable to start up, perhaps another process is already running?
Error message: System.ArgumentException: Illegales Zeichen im Pfad.
   bei System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
   bei System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
   bei System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path)
   bei Duplicati.Library.Common.IO.SystemIOWindows.GetFiles(String path)
   bei Duplicati.Server.SingleInstance..ctor(String basefolder)
   bei Duplicati.Server.Program.RealMain(String[] _args)
   --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
   bei Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.HostedInstanceKeeper..ctor(String[] args)
   bei Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.Program.RealMain(String[] _args)
   --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
   bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   bei System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   bei System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   bei Duplicati.Library.AutoUpdater.UpdaterManager.RunMethod(MethodInfo method, String[] args)

I noticed the “Illegales Zeichen im Pfad” (“Illegal character in path”), but which path, where do I start looking?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Stephan

Unable to start up after upgrade from 2.0.5.108 - to 2.0.5.110 - System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path. #4295 has notes on an issue similar to this, however it tried several directions.

I see you posted this on the new 2.0.6.3 release note, but did you also pick up 2.0.6.1 in early May?

What does your C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\changelog.txt file say? Very old releases have issues.

You could also try to reconstruct the update history by looking in C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates.
C:\Users<Duplicati user account>\AppData\Local\Duplicati\updates would be another place to look.

Are you running Duplicati as a Windows service? That’s the only method that would survive a reboot.
You were also testing Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe by hand. Be careful when running multiple Duplicati.
Getting confused about which one you connect (thus surprised by what you see) is pretty easy to do.

Hi,
thanks a lot for your reply.

Unable to start up after upgrade from 2.0.5.108 - to 2.0.5.110 - System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path. #4295 has notes on an issue similar to this, however it tried several directions.

I had a look at the thread, but I can’t say which of these directions would even apply to me.

I see you posted this on the new 2.0.6.3 release note, but did you also pick up 2.0.6.1 in early May?

Yes, I see it in C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates :

Verzeichnis von C:\ProgramData\Duplicati\updates

27.06.2021  11:25    <DIR>          .
27.06.2021  11:25    <DIR>          ..
17.03.2017  15:52    <DIR>          2.0.1.52
06.01.2021  14:14    <DIR>          2.0.5.1
25.06.2021  15:04    <DIR>          2.0.6.1
25.06.2021  16:09    <DIR>          2.0.6.3
25.06.2021  16:09                 7 current
27.06.2021  11:25             2,620 Duplicati-crashlog.txt
16.02.2017  11:45               283 installation.txt
16.02.2017  11:45               417 README.txt

What does your C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\changelog.txt file say? Very old releases have issues.

Hum, strange, all of the files in C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2 seem to be from February 2017, how can that be?

2017-02-14 - 2.0.1.47_canary_2017-02-14
==========
* Updated some localizations
* Updated the user interface
* Fixed an issue where the Force Stop action did not work immediately

2017-02-03 - 2.0.1.46_canary_2017-02-03
==========
* Fixed icon sizes
* Removed the fake control.cgi entry
* Added experimental support for setting the SQLite tempdir
* Added an optimization that makes bug reports faster to create
* Added a new HTTP reporter module, thanks @vatara

[...]

Are you running Duplicati as a Windows service?

I don’t think so… When I use a tool such as CCleaner, it lists “Duplicati 2.lnk” (C:\Program Files\Duplicati 2\Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe) as being part of the “Startup Common” Key.

You were also testing Duplicati.GUI.TrayIcon.exe by hand. Be careful when running multiple Duplicati.
Getting confused about which one you connect (thus surprised by what you see) is pretty easy to do.

True, I only ran it after verifying that not other Duplicati instance was running.

It seem that just about every Duplicati update went wrong on my machine, doesn’t it? Does it make a difference that I work (and back up using Dupicati) under a normal (non-admin) user account?

Thanks for your help,
Stephan

Because auto-updates go into a separate updates folder (and you found them). The original install
should start the latest update, but very old original installs use a different method and can’t do that.

You probably need to reinstall from some Beta .msi to get Program Files updated. I think anything
2.0.3.3_beta_2018-04-02 or newer should work (if you want to test). Easier, though, is to get latest.

This won’t make the Activate button reliable (that’s been an unsolved issue) but at least it’ll be up.

Or if you want to experiment a little, install 2.0.6.1_beta_2021-05-03 and see if upgrading to 2.0.6.3
runs a little better (except maybe for an Activate failure that might require a manual Duplicati start).

If you do this, you might automatically come up on 2.0.6.3, if you have an intact download installed.
Deleting that 2.0.6.3 folder will ensure that you don’t. 2.0.6.1 and 2.0.6.3 should be very compatible.